[P2P-F] Fwd: Against Ecocide (GTN Discussion)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:55:21 CEST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Great Transition Network <gtnetwork at greattransition.org>
Date: Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 8:29 PM
Subject: Against Ecocide (GTN Discussion)
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

>From Mark McElroy <mmcelroy at vermontel.net>

[Moderator's Note: The comment period is closed. The remaining comments
will be sent out over the course of today, and then Femke will have the
opportunity to respond.]

It is demonstrably the case that ecocide is mainly attributable to the
effects of business and commerce in the world. Any attempt to resolve it,
therefore, must be conceived accordingly.

Most businesses, however, do not measure, manage or report their
performance in these terms, nor are they required to. In the aggregate,
therefore, their effects result in the problems we have before us. Modern
commerce is unsustainable.

The problem, however, is not capitalism, it's monocapitalism: capitalism
designed to maintain (and grow) only one form of vital capital, economic
capital, very often at the expense of all others. The solution is
multicapitalism: capitalism designed to maintain all vital capitals, not
just one of them: natural, human, social, constructed and economic at
required levels.

If we manage organizational performance in these terms, it should be
possible to avoid ecocide; if not, ecocide seems inevitable. We need to
shift from monocapitalism to multicapitalism.

Regards,

Mark McElroy

************************

Friday, July 1, 2016

>From Paul Raskin

-----
Dear GTN:

Our JULY discussion will approach GTI’s overarching theme – shaping a
civilized planetary future – from a fresh angle: the legal effort now
gaining traction to criminalize the wanton destruction of nature.

Femke Wijdekop takes this on in a new Viewpoint, “Against Ecocide: Legal
Protection for Earth.” Femke introduces the idea of the “rights of nature”
and the history of the concept of “ecocide.” However, her primary focus is
on action, specifically, the movement to add ecocide as a crime against
peace under the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court.

Expanding the juridical architecture for protecting rights will surely be a
vital prong in the systemic movement we so urgently need. But to what
degree can it succeed in isolation? And what is the larger role of law and
legal activism in a Great Transition?

Please read Femke’s short piece at
www.greattransition.org/publication/against-ecocide and weigh in with your
thoughts. It will be published in August, along with selected comments
drawn from the forthcoming discussion

Comments are welcome through JULY 31.

Looking forward,
Paul Raskin