[P2P-F] Subject:, Fwd: [commoning] Open Call for Pixelache Helsinki 2016 Festival – Interfaces for Empathy – 22-25.9.2016

Eric Hunting erichunting at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:23:30 CEST 2016

Looking this over, it occurred to me that this might be a suitable venue
for a project I've been wanting to do for a while but which life has
been getting in the way of lately; the demonstration of 'compound
living' with the use of CNC based microyurts. Compound living is where a
home is based on a cluster of small shelters in the open. Instead of
creating a large building divided into many rooms, you use closely
spaced small buildings, each independently heated and powered, designed
to host the functions of one or two rooms, and optionally linked by
decking and outdoor lounge areas. In this way one facilitates the use of
much smaller structures with much lower impact on the land and which are
easier for the individual owner-builder to construct and deploy. It's a
concept I once briefly discussed with Pierre Koenig shortly before his
death; he working on a very high-end Modernist expression of the concept
at the time and I exploring the possibility of repurposing prefab
structures like small car shelters as a low-cost owner-built solution
for the low-toxic housing crisis. (I got his attention because,
apparently, I was among the first and last people to ever contact him by
email) Currently, I feature a compound home concept as one of the
possible housing designs for the Open House documentary project--a
project to showcase Post-Industrial culture through the demonstration of
the owner-built construction of a home and lifestyle based entirely on
Open Source designs and personal digital fabrication.

What is interesting with compound living in this festival's context is
the way it merges the home with the immediate natural surroundings.
Little to no landscape modification would be used, the microshelters set
in the found space nature provides using small pier foundations. The
open natural environment--let's say, a forest--becomes one's home and
the small structures rooms within that home with the flora and fauna of
the local environment free to intersperse the living environment. And so
this presents a very different relationship between nature and the built
habitat with unique lifestyle aspects. (for better and worse in some
aspects--you might have a bit of a problem in locations with rougher
climate or a lot of dangerous fauna...) There is a potential here for
the cultivation of a greater empathy for the natural habitat and more
direct awareness of human impact on it. You are making a home in nature
the way a family of racoons might inhabit a hollow tree, yet it's not
'camping' or 'roughing it' in any way as one is employing the best
technology has to offer for a safe and comfortable living within, rather
than apart from, nature. This notion might suit this festival theme well.

But building a permanent compound home would be beyond the scope of a
festival exhibition and so I consider a more nomadic approach based on
the use of several 'microyurts' that is still clearly above the level of
camping. A microyurt is a simple shelter that employs the structural
concept of the traditional yurt--the rigidized insulated tent--but at
smaller size with more contemporary materials, assembly, and design,
such as the use of a CNC cut skeleton frame made of EcoBoard with
puzzle-fit assembly. I've been planning to develop a set of these based
on the calabash gourd shape which has been featured in a lot of
furniture design lately. Simply imagine this at a human scale;

http://kitticraft.com/shop/cat-beds-and-swings/calabash/#product_images[grouped]/0/

This shape is interesting for its organic character, it's relation to
native pottery shapes which could inspire its surface decoration, the
way that it provides a fully contained form supporting a sheltered
raised floor, and the fact that it would perfectly accommodate the
mounting of a small vertical axis wind turbine or radial solar panel
array on its top to power LED lighting, small electric heating, mobile
device charging, and cluster WiFi. And with a gridded structure as
demonstrated by the above cat bed, there is much potential for integral
appliances and shelving. Depending mostly on the difficulty in crafting
the exterior fabric shell, developing a set of these with specialized
interior design variations for a portable compound could be possible
within the time before the festival date. Is it possible that support
for such a project could be found?

--
Eric Hunting
erichunting at gmail.com