[P2P-F] Fwd: How many wake up calls do we need?

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Oct 25 15:55:08 CET 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenny Zapata-Lopez - 350.org <350 at 350.org>
Date: Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 6:36 AM
Subject: How many wake up calls do we need?
To: Bauwens Michel <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

Friends,

*Yesterday, Hurricane Patricia made landfall here in Mexico.* It was the
strongest hurricane ever recorded. (At one point, Patricia would have been
a “Category 7” hurricane, except that the measurement scale only goes up to
Category 5.)

By the time you read this, the worst part of the storm will have passed us.
Thankfully, early reports indicate that the damage has been surprisingly
limited here, but the risk of extreme flooding remains for much of the Gulf
Coast of the United States.

This massive storm was a powerful wake-up call. A lot has been said in the
press about whether and how much Hurricane Patricia can be directly linked
to climate change, but one thing is certain: *our rapidly warming oceans
and atmosphere mean stronger, more frequent megastorms.*

The strongest storm ever, in the midst of one of the most prolific
hurricane seasons on record, after the hottest June, July, August, *and*
September ever recorded.1 Drought impacting communities from Thailand to
California. Reports that the world’s biggest fossil fuel company has known
(and lied) about climate change for over thirty years.2 I don't know about
you, but this moment feels *urgent *to me*.*

It also feels urgent because we're approaching an important crossroads: The
U.N. climate summit in Paris is a little over a month away, and it could
actually send a signal that the world is finally ready tackle the climate
crisis in a meaningful way.

Just this week, negotiators met in Bonn to prepare, and my colleagues who
were there say that this summit promises to be a real fight. Meanwhile, a
broad coalition of groups from around the world is calling for a huge day
of action on the eve of the big gathering in Paris.

*If this moment feels as urgent to you as it does to me, help us make it
count:*

*Join us on November 28th-29th for the Global Climate March. Find an event,
or start one of your own.*
<http://act.350.org/go/8464?t=1&utm_medium=email&akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>

We need a bold, ambitious deal in Paris that keeps at least 80% of fossil
fuels in the ground and finances a just transition to 100% renewable energy
by mid-century.

It will only happen if the climate movement shows up big though -- both
before the summit, and afterward.

*How many wake-up calls do we need? I hope you'll join me the last weekend
of November.
<http://act.350.org/go/8464?t=2&utm_medium=email&akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>*

Thank you,

Jenny Zapata-Lopez
------------------------------

1. "2015 Likely to Be Hottest Year Ever Recorded," *New York Times*.
<http://act.350.org/go/8570?t=3&utm_medium=email&akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>

2. "Exxon Knew Everything There Was to Know About Climate Change by the
Mid-1980s—and Denied It," *The Nation*.
<http://act.350.org/go/8571?t=4&utm_medium=email&akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>
------------------------------

350.org <http://350.org?akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp> is building a global
climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook
<http://facebook.com/350.org?akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>, follow us on Twitter
<http://twitter.com/350>, and become a sustaining donor to keep this
movement strong and growing.
<https://act.350.org/donate/build/?akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>

Want to change your email address, location, or language? Click here
<http://350.org/update?akid=8194.360134.DXVYkp>.

You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/