No subject

Sun Nov 8 20:45:29 CET 2015

-----
GTN Friends:

I write to launch our NOVEMBER DISCUSSION, which will consider Richard
Norgaard=E2=80=99s new GTI essay, =E2=80=9CThe Church of Economism and Its =
Discontents.=E2=80=9D
Please read it at
www.greattransition.org/publication/the-church-of-economism-and-its-discont=
ents,
and consider commenting.

Is orthodox economics akin to a secular religion? Are we living in the
=E2=80=9CEconocene=E2=80=9D? Is there a way out? Norgaard, a founder of eco=
logical
economics, argues yes, yes, and maybe. In so doing, he guides us further
into the terrain of alternative economics we=E2=80=99ve explored recently i=
n our
discussions of GTI pieces by Herman Daly, Giorgos Kallis, Peter Barnes, and
John Bellamy Foster.

I wonder, though:
* Is economism still a monolithic ideology? Or are critical currents within
the economics mainstream increasingly questioning its reductionist
framework and false predictions?
* As a framing for our contemporary condition, is =E2=80=9Cthe Econocene=E2=
=80=9D a useful
corrective to the geologic emphasis of =E2=80=9Cthe Anthropocene=E2=80=9D? =
How do these
compare to GTI=E2=80=99s term, =E2=80=9CThe Planetary Phase of Civilization=
,=E2=80=9D which aims to
convey the multi-dimensionality of the globalizing social-ecological system=
?

I=E2=80=99d appreciate hearing your thoughts on these and other issues rais=
ed by
Norgaard=E2=80=99s stimulating essay.

Comments are welcome through NOVEMBER 30.

Looking forward,

Paul Raskin
GTI Director

NOTE ON GTI=E2=80=99S PUBLICATION CYCLE:
GTN discussions occur in ODD-NUMBERED months, and GTI publishes in
EVEN-NUMBERED months. Each discussion takes up a new essay or viewpoint
prior to its publication. After the discussion closes, GTI publishes the
piece, edited comments from the discussion, and a response from the author
(along with other new articles). You can review all GTN discussions at
www.greattransition.org/forum/gti-forum.

Hit reply to post a message
Or see thread and reply online at
http://www.greattransition.org/forum/gti-discussions/171-the-church-of-econ=