[P2P-F] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] Together in Sorrow, Looking at the Future

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Nov 16 14:08:56 CET 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: La Quadrature du Net <contact at laquadrature.net>
Date: Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 6:36 PM
Subject: [opennetcoalition] Together in Sorrow, Looking at the Future
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

Themes: DEMOCRACY, LIBERTIES, PARIS

La Quadrature du Net – For immediate release

Permanent link:
https://www.laquadrature.net/en/together-in-sorrow-looking-at-the-future

Together in Sorrow, Looking at the Future

*** Paris, 16 November 2015 — Together with the people from France and from
all around the
world, La Quadrature du Net mourns the dead. After the attacks on Friday 13
November in Paris
and Saint-Denis, the group is committed to contribute to a political
response that is based on a
careful assessment of what has led us to this tragedy. ***

Friday 13 November, criminal acts of astounding violence hit Paris,
striking French society at
its core. La Quadrature du Net's board and operational team wish to express
their condolences to
the victims' loved-ones and share their deep sorrow.

Obviously, France is no longer safe from the massacres occurring on a daily
basis in many parts
of the world, in particular in the Middle East. In the face of such a
tragedy, we must now take
a hard look at reality and not be afraid of facing the complex causes that
led to these events.
It would be completely absurd and simply ineffective to react with more
emergency measures and
new generalised restrictions to civil rights.

Unfortunately, given recent political statements, we fear that the only
response will lie in
further bombings in the Middle-East and the escalation of security measures
evermore harmful to
fundamental rights. But when will we take the time to carefully analyse the
failed policies
carried on for the past fifteen years on a global scale, and through dozens
of laws in France?

In the light of the declaration of the state of emergency and of political
statements made over
the weekend, La Quadrature du Net solemnly asks political leaders to take
the time to reflect
and engage in a rigorous, critical and transparent evaluation of France's
international,
diplomatic, military, geo-strategic and commercial commitments; to think
about the strategy of
intelligence services and to complete a thorough examination of their
workings; to defeat a
warmongering rhetoric drive us towards a "clash of civilisations" doubled
with an internal civil
conflict within our society; to also address the tensions that ripple
through French society,
the identity-related tensions stirred by a part of the political and media
elite, the shared
responsibilities into the largely misunderstood phenomenon of violent
radicalisation, the
dissolving of perspectives for social progress.

La Quadrature du Net defends fundamental rights and liberties in the
digital sphere. If today we
are inviting a debate on issues that might seem removed from our usual
concerns, it is because
we are convinced that they directly affect the very conditions of
citizenship, of peace, and are
currently largely missing from the public debate. We are also convinced
that freedom and
security are mutually reinforcing.

To overcome these challenges, we are calling for a collective, wide-ranging
reflection. These
debates must be carried out transparently vis-à-vis citizens and must draw
from the expressions,
doubts, criticisms, hopes and expectations of all, without fear.

In one word, we are calling for more democracy.

** About La Quadrature du Net **

La Quadrature du Net is an advocacy group that defends the rights and
freedoms of citizens on
the Internet. More specifically, it advocates for the adaptation of French
and European
legislations to respect the founding principles of the Internet, most
notably the free
circulation of knowledge.

In addition to its advocacy work, the group also aims to foster a better
understanding of
legislative processes among citizens. Through specific and pertinent
information and tools, La
Quadrature du Net hopes to encourage citizens' participation in the public
debate on rights and
freedoms in the digital age.

La Quadrature du Net is supported by French, European and international
NGOs including the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Open Society Institute and Privacy
International.

List of supporting organisations:
https://www.laquadrature.net/en/they-support-la-quadrature-du-net

** Press contact and press room **