[P2P-F] Fwd: My new Techcrunch article: "The Future Of Algorithmic Personalization"

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Jun 26 08:41:27 CEST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jarno Mikael Koponen <jarno.koponen at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 4:21 AM
Subject: My new Techcrunch article: "The Future Of Algorithmic
Personalization"
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

Hi Michel,

I hope you're well! Your work on creating digital alternatives keeps
inspiring me, both professionally and personally. Thought you might find
this interesting/thought-provoking. My new story "The Future Of Algorithmic
Personalization" just out on Techcrunch:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/25/the-future-of-algorithmic-personalization/

"Because of the personalization gaps and internal paradox, personalization
remains unfulfilling and incomplete. It leaves us with a feeling that it
serves someone else’s interests better than our own... There are three
design and development paths that would help personalization to serve us
better as unique individuals."

"There’s no objectivity (nor should there be claims of objectivity) in the
realm of personalization. We shape the algorithms and the algorithms shape
us continuously. To serve us better, personalization algorithms should be
able understand our subjective way of seeing connections and meanings
around us."

"Personalization as a concept derives from the world of industrial mass
production and marketing. Maybe, in order to mark a new era of
algorithmically assisted decision-making — and to emphasize the importance
of personal agency — we should talk about choice algorithms instead of
personalization algorithms. Who would build such choice algorithms for us?"

All feedback welcome, many thanks! -Jarno M., https://twitter.com/ilparone

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/