[P2P-F] [NetworkedLabour] Internet Social Forum & Climate

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Jun 18 09:30:25 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 12:42 AM, peter waterman <
peterwaterman1936 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> in horrible CAPS...
>

>    1. 2014. From Coldwar Communism to the Global Justice Movement:
>    Itinerary of a Long-Distance Internationalist.
>    <http://snuproject.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/1987-e-reader-ed-by-peter-waterman-on-labour-social-movements-and-internationalism-the-old-internationalism-and-the-new/>http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/from_coldwar_communism
>    _to_the_global_emancipatory_movement/
>    <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/from_coldwar_communism_to_the_global_emancipatory_movement/> (Free).
>
>    2. 2014. Interface Journal Special (Co-Editor), December 2014. 'Social
>    Movement Internationalisms'. (Free).
>    <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>
> * <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>*
>    3. 2014. 'The Networked Internationalism of Labour's Others', in Jai
>    Sen (ed), Peter Waterman (co-ed), The Movement of Movements:
>    <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/>Struggles
>    for Other Worlds  (Part I).
>    <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/the_movements_of_movements/> (10
>    Euros).
> 4. 2012. EBook: Recovering Internationalism
>    <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/recovering_internationalism/>.  [A
>    compilation of papers from the new millenium. Now free in two download
>    formats]
>    5. 2013. EBook (co-editor), February 2013: World Social Forum:
>    Critical Explorations
>    http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/
>    6. 2012. Interface Journal Special (co-editor), November 2012: *For
>    the Global Emancipation of Labour
>    <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>*
>    7. 2005-?
>    <http://interfacejournal.nuim.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Interface-1-2-pp255-262-Waterman.pdf>
>    Ongoing. Blog: http://www.unionbook.org/profile/peterwaterman.???. Needed:
>    a Global Labour Charter Movement (2005-Now!)
>    <http://interfacejournal.nuim.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Interface-1-2-pp255-262-Waterman.pdf>
>    8. 2011. Under, Against, Beyond: Labour and Social Movements Confront
>    a Globalised, Informatised Capitalism
>    <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/under-against-beyond/>(2011) (c.
>    1,000 pages of Working Papers, free, from the 1980's-90's).
>

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>
> wrote:
>
>> dear Ariel,
>>
>> I understand the argument, and the energy costs,
>>
>> my argument is two-fold
>>
>> 1) that in a different systemic context, internet energy usage can be
>> seriously curtailed
>> ​(SEEMS TO BE 3-FOLD!). DEPENDENCE ON A 'DIFFERENT SYSTEMIC CONTEXT' IS A
>> LITTLE LIKE SAYING, AS WE DID IN HAMPSTEAD YCL 1951: 'AFTER THE REVOLUTION
>> THE MEN WILL HAVE THE BABIES'. MOREOVER, THIS POINT DOES NOT ADDRESS EITHER
>> THE MOMENT OF RAW-MATERIAL EXTRACTION NOR THAT OF WHAT I CALL 'INSTANT
>> OBSOLESCENCE' AND ITS POLLUTION EFFECTS. ​

no, Ariel questions the internet and communications infrastructure in
general, so the argument that this is context-dependent is crucial, unless
you assume that capitalism is eternal ; obviously the internet is polluting
, and the answer there is indeed to do something about it, not wishing it
away; and lots of people are working on that; to that add the crucial
argument that the internet itself may be saving a lot more energy that it
is spending itself, through its energy efficiencies and dematerialization
effect; in short, it allows zero marginal cost economics
b creating high knowledge intensive production (zie also the arguments and
documentation on rifkin on this)

>>> 2) that it is in any case an essential civilizational advance, like
>> writing etc, which we will want to preserve even in times of crisis
>>
> ​AGREED, A *CIVILISATION* ADVANCE, NOT JUST A CAPITALIST ONE (CASTELLS
> SAYS SOMETHING LIKE 'TRANS-EPOCHAL'). ​
>
> ​'EVEN'? IN SO FAR AS WE ARE LIVING A *CIVILISATIONAL *CRISIS, I WOULD
> SAY THAT ICT IS BOTH PART OF THE PROBLEM AND PART OF THE SOLUTION. ​

fully agree, so the whole meaning of our work at the p2p foundation is to
be part of the solution

>> 3) that it is essential to social struggle
>>

> ​INDEEDY. SOCIAL STRUGGLE IS TAKING PLACE BOTH WITH AND WITHIN ICT.
> MOREOVER, IT INCORPORATES THE PRINCIPLE OF FEEDBACK, IT HAS A HORIZONTAL
> POTENTIAL (THUS UNDERMINING, FOR EXAMPLE, THE TRADITIONAL HIERARCHY OF THE
> TRADITIONAL SOCIAL MOVEMENT ORGANISATION), AND (AS ONE OF THE DOCS ON P2P
> POINTS OUT) HAS THE POTENTIAL FOR EMPOWERING THE LOCAL AND THE SMALL-SCALE
> PRODUCTION. ​

yes, what i have been saying for about 10 years now

>> 4) that it is essential for the transformation of the economy towards
>> sustainability if we want to avoid massive loss of human life
>>

> ​AGREED, BUT NEEDS SPELLING OUT. AND THE SOURCES OF SUCH ARGUMENTS IN THE
> P2P DOCS YOU INDICATE AROUSE MY SCEPTICISM.​

that argument can be returned since it seems most of the arguments on
energy cost can be traced back to the coal industry

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/