[P2P-F] Fwd: [Air-L] Ubiquitous Commons and Stakhanov at transmediale in Berlin

Wed Jan 21 17:46:16 CET 2015

hi Kevin,

thanks for publishing this on our blog,

From: tiziano bonini <tiziano.bonini at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM
Subject: Fwd: [Air-L] Ubiquitous Commons and Stakhanov at transmediale in
Berlin
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

maybe interesting for you

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: xDxD.vs.xDxD <xdxd.vs.xdxd at gmail.com>
Date: 2015-01-20 7:16 GMT+01:00
Subject: [Air-L] Ubiquitous Commons and Stakhanov at transmediale in Berlin
To: List Aoir <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>

Dear all,

sorry for crossposting: I think it could be of interest to many of us here.

----------------------

Ubiquitous Commons and Stakhanov at transmediale festival in Berlin.

here
http://human-ecosystems.com/home/arts-meet-data-at-transmediale-in-berlin-for-a-workshop-on-the-ubiquitous-commons-and-an-installation-on-data-and-privacy/

and here
http://www.artisopensource.net/network/artisopensource/2015/01/14/stakhanov-the-bigdata-oracle-for-a-new-era/

**** about Ubiquitous Commons ****

Ubiquitous Commons is an international research/action effort in which arts
and sciences unite forces in the exploration of the ways in which the
ubiquitous production of data and information is radically transforming our
daily lives, and about the ways in which people can better position
themselves in establishing how exactly they wish their data to be used,
using technological and legal toolkits.

In current times we are not producing data and information only under the
form of texts, numbers, images video and other types of simple media.

Today we find ourselves in the condition of constant and ubiquitous data
and information production through our emotional expresions, our opinions,
our bodies and organs, our movements, gestures, actions, traversals and
more.

This happens wether we realize it or not, through the constant action of
sensors, service access points, cameras, and algorithms of multiple types.

On top of that, algorithms constitute a radical opacity layer in this
scenario.

The data we produce is continuously interpreted, processed and categorised
by multiple, progressive layers of algorithms, using it to produce even
more data, meta-data, meta-meta-data and so on, in possibly endless
progressions.

This data is used to determine anything from our interest profiles, our
economic evaluation, our health risk, our emotional profiles, our position
and roles within communities, relational networks and cultures, and can be
used without us even realizing it for anything from marketing,
surveillance, social experiments, A/B testing of new service
characteristics, and for evaluation of multiple types of analysis of our
personality and social positioning, wether it is for our insurance policy,
for our career, to determine wether we are terrorists or not and much more.

On the other hand, this type of data and information could also lead to
better understanding of our communities, to the possibility for emergent
constructive action on multiple issues, to the opportunities to design
inclusive participated actions and practices engaging citizens,
administrations, companies, organizations, activists and more.

Ubiquitous Commons is the Commons in the age of ubiquitous data and
information.

The UC initiative fosters collaborations across arts, sciences and
humanities to create a philosophical approach through which a protocol will
emerge in which people will be enabled in deciding how they wish their data
to be used, and to make sure that this expression is enacted. UC does this
through the progressive creation of legal, technological and aesthetic
toolkits which can be easily and inclusively adopted and used.

More information can be found at: http://www.ubiquitouscommons.org/

(the website currently shows an early manifesto, and will evolve soon to
reflect the actions and collaborations which have been established to
achieve these objectives)

**** about Stakhanov ****

Stakhanov is a Data God.

It constantly harvests information which is ubiquitously generated on
social networks by people of all kinds.

It uses multiple techniques and technologies to search for patterns in this
data, and uses these patterns to predict the future.

It is an Oracle for our emerging data-religion.

Wether data and information is generated through sensors (for running,
health, domotics), our activities and habits as we express them online, our
geographical location, the patterns in which we use our time, or our
emotions, opinions and relations, Stakhanov uses the processes and
techniques which are commonly used by major social network operators,
national security agencies and other operators to classify us and to
construct predictive models which can be used, among other things, to
attempt at making evidence-based predictions about where we will be, doing
which activity, with whom, at what time, and more.

An All-Seeing Eye, up above, in the Cloud.

Stakhanov is a playful neo-religious data-invasion of privacy, and an
exploration on false-hopes and on the ingenuity in contemporary data
determinism.

**** At Transmediale Festival in Berlin ***

Stakhanov will be shown as an installation in the art exhibit of this
year's edition of the festival, under the theme "Capture All".
http://www.transmediale.de/content/ubiquitous-commons-open-workshop

Ubiquitous Commons will be present under the form of an extensive two-phase
workshop in which we will explore the subject and give better form to one
of the first elements of the legal and technological toolkit which is being
produced through the initiative.
http://www.transmediale.de/content/ubiquitous-commons-open-workshop

We will be more than happy if you could show up and take active part in the
initiative.

Feel free to contact us for more information and details.

All the best

--
*Salvatore Iaconesi*

salvatore.iaconesi at artisopensource.net
skype: xdxdVSxdxd

*CEO Human Ecosystems LTD*: http://human-ecosystems.com/

*Art is Open Source*: http://www.artisopensource.net
*TED Fellow 2012*: http://fellows.ted.com/profiles/salvatore-iaconesi
*Eisenhower Fellow 2013*: http://www.efworld.org/
*Yale World Fellow 2014: *http://worldfellows.yale.edu/salvatore-iaconesi

Contract Professor of Digital Design at La Sapienza University of Rome

Professor of Digital Design at ISIA Design Florence

Professor of Interaction Design at IED Istituto Europeo di Design

http://www.aoir.org/

--
Tiziano Bonini
||| lecturer in media studies |||

::: Academia :::
http://iulm.academia.edu/TizianoBonini

::: Audio/Radio :::
www.radiofactory.org
http://audioboo.fm/tizianobonini

--
Check out the Commons Transition Plan here at:
http://en.wiki.floksociety.org/w/Research_Plan

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/