[P2P-F] Singularity and Gender - 'The End of the Beginning'

Denis Postle denis.postle at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:28:41 CEST 2015

Thanks for this Anna, I had missed the earlier messages.

I agree that this list like most of the rest of the world, often seems
in the hidden grip of patriarchy. e.g. the tit for tat listing of
significant womanly voices. Yours is very welcome here.

With one caveat, unless and until significant numbers of us, including
women, deal with our inner tyrants 'dominance' as 'natural' and 'normal'
and even 'inevitable', will continue. The caveat, that as the
psycho-historians have pointed out, the massive improvement in childcare
towards a more child-centred formation, with more present fathers, may
be leading to a different, less domineering politics. Let's hope so. The
alternative means today's men (and women) giving up a devotion to power
that tends to be deeply and often unawarely embedded.

Denis

On 30/08/2015 09:20, anna at shsh.co.uk wrote:
> My original intention in pointing out the lack of women contributors
> to this book was not to give rise to the game of 'tit for tat', in
> terms of equalising numbers of men and women, that is the direction
> the discussion seems to have taken.
>
> My comments were motivated by the fear that these essays, and I
> haven't read them, express the deep schism with nature and reality of
> the patriarchal and dominator culture in which we live, which is
> taking us towards self extermination. That the lack of women
> contributors could be, and it was a question, pointing to ignoring the
> part women need to play in shaping our future.
>
> Below Ted Goertzel writes:
>>
>>     Already today,
>>     gender is becoming a choice rather than something biologically
>>     determined,
>>     presumably that will be more so as technology improves. Will men
>>     be able to
>>     get surgery enabling them to get pregnant and give birth?  Or
>>     will that
>>     function be taken over by incubators?  Will we be able to have
>>     both male
>>     and female sexual organs, as some animals and plants do?
>>

> I fear that technology is going in the direction of what is possible
> rather than what is desirable. And the thrill and excitement of
> wondrous achievements are disconnected from what it means to be truly
> ourselves, to feel whole and fulfilled.
>
> Anna
>

> On 29 Aug 2015, at 06:43, Dante-Gabryell Monson
> <dante.monson at gmail.com <mailto:dante.monson at gmail.com>> wrote:

new site text

I have a new web-site: denis.postle.net <http://denis.postle.net> -
street poetry, free ebooks, writing, photos, videos, music and therapy
all in one place.

---