[P2P-F] Fwd: [NetworkedLabour] [Debate-List] (Fwd) On Avaaz clicktivism (Richard Poplak) ... On praising the G7... surely not, especially for climate malgovernance? (Avaaz, GP, critics)

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Aug 16 15:34:23 CEST 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: peter waterman <peterwaterman1936 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [NetworkedLabour] [Debate-List] (Fwd) On Avaaz clicktivism
To: Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za>, WSFDiscuss List <
WorldSocialForum-Discuss at openspaceforum.net>
Cc: "<networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>" <
networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>, DEBATE <debate-list at fahamu.org>

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 6:28 AM, Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za> wrote:

> [...]
> director Kelly Mitchell, “Leaders at the G7 meeting have put forward a
> powerful call to move the global economy away from fossil fuels and toward
> a renewable energy future. Heading into the Paris climate meeting this
> year, it’s a significant step toward securing a commitment to 100%
> renewable energy by 2050.”
>
> Tell no lies, claim no easy victories. What I hope might happen is that in
> future Avaaz, Greenpeace and similar well-meaning activists might at least
> see it in their interest to tell the truth and intensify the battle
> *against* the leaders of the G7 (and the BRICS too) *and especially
> against *the corporations that yank their chains. Instead of Avaaz
> massaging <https://www.facebook.com/Avaaz?rf=106321336073398&filter=2>
> the G7 elites for “sending an immediate signal to dirty and clean energy
> investors that will help accelerate the clean-energy boom we desperately
> need,” as if capitalism can solve the climate crisis, why not re-boot the
> power relations?
>
> How about this wording, instead: “Since the G7 rulers finally recognise
> that fossil fuels must stay underground, *duh!*, but still* fail to act
> decisively to that end*, we in Avaaz condemn the politicians. We’ll
> redouble our efforts to target their biggest fossil investors. We’ll do so
> through not only divestment – achieved by small investor committees in
> wealthy Global North institutions – but now we’ll also turn Avaaz’s mighty
> 41-million strong listserve towards consumer boycotts of the corporations
> and especially the banks that have the most power over these G7-BRICS
> politicos. And we’ll get legal and media support for anyone blockading
> these firms, since the ‘necessity defence’ for civil disobedience is
> becoming much more vital to our world’s near-term survival. Even the Pope’s
> new climate Encylical agrees.”
>
> Wouldn’t that be a more satisfying and nutritious strategy than the
> climate junkfood email that millions just received from Avaaz? I really
> felt a little sick after consuming it. Surely Avaaz can see the merits of
> shifting the goalposts to the left each time they have a chance, and thus *enhancing
> the climate justice struggle* – not joining the G7 in a* fatal climate
> snuggle*.
>
> *Patrick Bond is author of *Politics of Climate Justice* and, in Durban,
> directs the University of KwaZulu-Natal Centre for Civil Society
> <http://ccs.ukzn.ac.za/>.*
>
> --
> To view previous posts, create a Google account with your current email
> and log in using gmail to access the archives.
> https://accounts.google.com/newaccount?hl=en
> ---
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/a/fahamu.org/group/debate-list/.
>

> --
> To view previous posts, create a Google account with your current email
> and log in using gmail to access the archives.

*Recent publications*

1. 2014. From Coldwar Communism to the Global Justice Movement: Itinerary
of a Long-Distance Internationalist.
http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/from_coldwar_communism
_to_the_global_emancipatory_movement/ (Free). 2. 2014. Interface Journal
Special (Co-Editor), December 2014. 'Social Movement Internationalisms'.
(Free).3. 2014. with Laurence Cox, ‘Movement Internationalism/s’,
Interface: a Journal for and about Social Movements. (Editorial), Vol. 6
(2), pp. 1–12. 4. 2014. ‘The International Labour Movement in, Against and
Beyond, the Globalized and Informatized Cage of Capitalism and Bureaucracy.
(Interview). Interface: a Journal for and about Social Movements. Vol. 6
(2), pp. 35-58. 5. 2014. 'The Networked Internationalism of Labour's
Others', in Jai Sen (ed), Peter Waterman (co-ed), The Movement of
Movements: Struggles for Other Worlds  (Part I). (10 Euros). 6. 2015.
Waterman, Peter. ‘Beyond Labourism, Development and Decent Work’.
<https://escarpmentpress.org/globallabour/article/download/2338/2433>
Global Labour Journal, 2015, 6(2), pp. 246-50.

*More publications, click [////]*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/