[P2P-F] Ello--An Alternative to Facebook?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Fri Sep 26 09:30:07 CEST 2014

On 2014-09-26 08:38, Vasilis Kostakis wrote:
> An interesting discussion in the Air-List on Ello, an apparently
> alternative platform to Facebook:

very apparent, indeed. Here are a few links to pages already explaining
why Ello is pointless from several points of view, plus my own proposal
from
last year on the same topic:

https://ello.co/waxpancake/post/oy73kFfDdhOPh8Jv9z9pFA

http://fatbodypolitics.tumblr.com/post/98306272036/goodbye-ello-privacy-safety-and-why-ello-makes-me

https://ello.co/wtf/post/privacy

https://www.facebook.com/dave.winer.12/posts/281609012046511

and my own comment in the facebook discussion above:

DISCLAIMER: last year I started a fundraiser for the proposal I'll
mention in a few lines. It didn't go well, which is OK as I had and do
have other sources of income, and in any case is an idea that everybody
else can try to implement independently, and is welcome to do so.
Really. This said:

any alternative to facebook must (besides being open in the sense Dave
explains) first of all be really turn-key-usable by non-geeks. This
excludes status.net and similar stuff, at least in the way they are
packaged now. Ditto for pretty much everything usually mentioned in
discourses like this, from arkOS to Diaspora. Last year I proposed one
way to solve this problem first, which I called percloud:
http://per-cloud.com

Marco
--
http://mfioretti.com