[P2P-F] Fwd: Fast Lane, Slow Lane -- "No Lane" -- End Game in Telecommunications

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Sep 26 08:31:12 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bruce Kushnick <bruce at newnetworks.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Subject: Fast Lane, Slow Lane -- "No Lane" -- End Game in Telecommunications

 (Excerpted from the new book: *The Book of Broken Promises: $400 Billion
Broadband Scandal and Free the Net
<http://newnetworks.com/bookofbrokenpromises.htm>**) *

* Fast Lane, Slow Lane -- "No Lane" -- End Game in Telecommunications*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/fast-lane-slow-lane--no-l_b_5865996.html

 Forget about Net Neutrality's fast lane vs slow lane. We are at the end
game in telecommunications and we should all be talking about the "No Lane".

Net Neutrality is like one of those Rorschach Tests used in psychological
examinations where everyone sees something different in the same picture.
With a record 3.7 million comments filed at the FCC in the Open Internet
proceeding,
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/16/6257887/fcc-net-neutrality-3-7-million-comments-made>
as of September 15th, 2014, one thing is clear -- America is angst-ridden
about something.

The most common theme in the last round of comments filed is now
the-easy-to-remember chant -- "fast lane vs slow lane", while over the last
decade it has referred to the blocking or degrading of service.

But the truth is -- the angst is not only from 'Net Neutrality'. According
to an ACSI survey,
<http://bgr.com/2014/05/20/comcast-twc-customer-satisfaction-survey-study/>
in 2014, Comcast and Time Warner are leading the list as the "most hated
companies in America", while "ISPs", (actually the phone and cable
companies, including AT&T and Centurylink) were also at the bottom of
customer satisfaction.

While Net Neutrality focuses on important issues, it doesn't address or
cure anything to do with stopping the "No Lane"-- the end game if AT&T,
Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner continue on their path. These companies
are the incumbent wireline and cable companies that control most of the
wires in the US and that also means that they control all wireless
services. Control of the wires also gives them control over all services,
including competitor services, but more importantly it gives them the
ability to control who gets upgraded and who doesn't, or what prices
customers' pay, or worse, who will be 'shut off' and end up in a 'Digital
Dead Zone'.

How bad is the broadband 'landscape'?

A recent speech by FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler
<http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0904/DOC-329161A1.pdf>brings
the "No Lane", filed with the "have nots", into focus.

"At the low end of throughput, 4 Mbps and 10 Mbps, the majority of
Americans have a choice of only two providers. That is what economists call
a "duopoly", a market place that is typically characterized by less than
vibrant competition."

"At 25 Mbps, there is simply no competitive choice for most Americans. Stop
and let that sink in...Three-quarters of American homes have no competitive
choice for the essential infrastructure for 21st century economics and
democracy. Included in that is almost 20 percent who have no service at
all!" "Things only get worse as you move to 50 Mbps where 82 percent of
consumers lack a choice."

Ironically, (as we mentioned in our previous article
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/the-book-of-broken-promis_b_5839394.html>),
America's customers have been charged about $400 billion dollars to have
the entire US upgraded to fiber optic services by 2010, or there abouts,
with speeds of at least 45 Mbps in both directions -- and that was the
speed of broadband in 1992; by 2014, we should have been a 'gigabit nation'.

Wheeler, unfortunately, appears to be in denial about the other pressing
issues -- And it is going to get worse.

*The "No Lane": Shutting off the Copper -- and Force-Migrating to Wireless.*

At an investor meeting, a CITI Investment Research
<http://seekingalpha.com/article/2162303-verizon-communications-management-discusses-q1-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript>
analyst asked Fran Shammo, Verizon's CFO, about "the homes where you don't
have FiOS. I think it's... maybe roughly 8 million homes...".

Fran Shammo responded