[P2P-F] Fwd: The elephant in the room

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Nov 15 10:14:34 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charlie Wood <350l at 350.org>
Date: Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Subject: The elephant in the room
To: Bauwens Michel <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

 Dear friend,

This week, just weeks after the largest climate mobilisation ever, the
world's two biggest polluters -- the United States and China -- announced
their most ambitious climate action yet. *That is not a coincidence: it's a
sign that our pressure is working, and that we need to apply much more.*

The emissions of China and the US have been used by governments around the
world as an excuse to dodge their own responsibilities. But this new
agreement leaves these governments with nowhere left to hide and opens the
door for real progress from global governments.* Right now, world leaders
are converging on Australia for the G20 leaders summit and we have momentum
on our side.*

But Tony Abbott, Australia’s conservative Prime Minister and host of the
G20, is refusing to allow a meaningful discussion of climate change at the
G20. Climate change is the elephant in the room and Tony Abbott is asking
the G20 to ignore it.

*Send a message to Tony Abbott and tell him that he needs to get out of the
way of climate action at the G20 and put climate change back on the agenda.
<http://act.350.org/go/6426?t=1&akid=5573.360134.6wiK4Y>*

The world is ready to act. Most countries want to talk about climate change
but Australia’s climate denying government is using their position as
President to block discussion. We are not going to let one politician block
discussion on climate change get off easy.

Put the pressure on Tony Abbott to stop blocking discussion at the G20 and
get out of the way of real climate action.
<http://act.350.org/go/6426?t=2&akid=5573.360134.6wiK4Y>

There is plenty that the G20 could talk about when it comes to climate
action. G20 countries are wasting US $88 billion a year just to help fossil
fuel companies find *new* fossil fuel reserves, despite numerous warnings
from scientists that we need to leave the fossil fuels we already know
about in the ground.

With the new agreement between the US and China, now is the time for the
G20 to commit to ending fossil fuel subsidies and taking steps towards real
action on climate change. But unless Tony Abbott lets them talk about it,
no commitments will be made.

*Keep the pressure on Tony Abbott. Tell him to get out of the way of real
progress. <http://act.350.org/go/6426?t=3&akid=5573.360134.6wiK4Y>*

Regards,

Charlie Wood for the whole 350.org team.
------------------------------

350.org <http://350.org?akid=5573.360134.6wiK4Y> is building a global
climate movement. You can connect with us on Facebook
<http://facebook.com/350.org?akid=5573.360134.6wiK4Y>, follow us on Twitter
<http://twitter.com/350>, and become a sustaining donor to keep this
movement strong and growing.
<https://act.350.org/donate/build/?akid=5573.360134.6wiK4Y>

You can unsubscribe from this mailing list at any time.

Check out the Commons Transition Plan here at:
http://en.wiki.floksociety.org/w/Research_Plan

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/