[P2P-F] Fwd: [Solutions] New paper on 'Changes in the global value of ecosystem services'

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri May 30 02:42:03 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Costanza <costanza at thesolutionsjournal.com>
Date: Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Subject: [Solutions] New paper on 'Changes in the global value of ecosystem
services'
To: Solutions <solutions at mailman.anu.edu.au>

Hi.

I just wanted to alert you to our new paper titled "Changes in the global
value of ecosystem services" in *Global Environmental Change.*

This paper builds on our 1997 paper published in *Nature* on the global
value of ecosystem services, and estimates the changes since then. It
updates the unit value estimates based on work done by the TEEB (The
Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity) study and combines them with new
global land use estimates to arrive at the first estimates of the changes
in global ecosystem services value between 1997 and 2011 in monetary units.
We estimate (with appropriate caveats) that the loss of ecosystem services
from 1997 to 2011 is on the order of $20 Trillion/yr.

The paper also addresses some of the misconceptions and critiques arising
from the 1997 paper and compares the results with more elaborate global
systems modeling approaches.

You can view and download the paper at:

https://sites.google.com/a/idakub.com/www/CV/publications/2014_Costanza_GlobalValueUpdate.pdf

or:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378014000685

If you have any trouble, let me know and we can send you a copy.

All the best
Bob

*Dr. Robert Costanza*
• Professor and Chair of Public Policy
  Crawford School of Public Policy (https://crawford.anu.edu.au/)
  Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
  Email: Robert.Costanza at anu.edu.au
  Office phone: +61 (0) 2 6125 6987,  Cell phone: +61 047 801 2393;

• Editor-in-Chief, *Solutions* (www.thesolutionsjournal.org)
  Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Solutions-Journal/141002349354>  |
Twitter <http://twitter.com/#!/SolutionsMag>  |  LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups/SOLUTIONS-Journal-2349132?itemaction=mclk&anetid=2349132&impid=&pgkey=anet_search_results&actpref=anetsrch_name&trk=anetsrch_name&goback=.gdr_1320543852906_1>

• Affiliate Fellow, Gund Institute for Ecological Economics, University of
Vermont
• Senior Fellow, Stockholm Resilience Center, Stockholm, Sweden.
• Senior Fellow, National Council on Science and the Environment,
Washington, DC.

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/