[P2P-F] sustainability of digital manufacturing

Fabio Barone holon.earth at gmail.com
Wed May 7 17:15:09 CEST 2014

Michel,
without having read all of the article,
it seems to focus on two things:

- power usage
- material consumption

We are spoiled with (more or less) cheap energy from big power utilities,
so we have become dependent on them.

A P2P-oriented society in my opinion should focus a lot on distributed
sustainable energy
(I know this is somehow obvious to most here but needs to be re-stated in
order to address the issues in the article).
Also, power should be devoted to things we want, and waste minimized.
With that in mind I think the power problem can be addressed.

For materials, there are two tackling strategies I like a lot:
- Additive 3D printing, which doesn't generate a lot of waste
- Biodegradable materials. This is something I am personally very
interested,
  and I am dreaming of a project which would produce biodegradable source
material (probably PLA)
  for 3D printers. This could be researched in emerging bioeconomy
processes.

Just a few ideas (nothing new really) about how to steer digital
manufacturing to sustainable paths.