[P2P-F] Fwd: Reminder deadline 25 March for submitting abstracts Workshop 'Common People, Common Rules' (Pamplona, 30-31 October 2014);

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Mar 18 18:43:06 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: collective-action <collective-action at uu.nl>
Date: Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Subject: Reminder deadline 25 March for submitting abstracts Workshop
'Common People, Common Rules' (Pamplona, 30-31 October 2014);

 25th of March: DEADLINE CALL FOR PAPERS "COMMON PEOPLE, COMMON RULES",
Pamplona 30-31/10/2014.

With this e-mail we would like to remind you of the deadline for submitting
abstracts for *the Workshop 'Common People, Common Rules. Institutions and
self-governance in historical perspective'*, to be held in Pamplona, 30-31
October 2014. Abstracts should be submitted *before the 25th of March** to
josem.lana at unavarra.es <josem.lana at unavarra.es>*.

During our two-day workshop we will be focusing on institutions for
collective action, that are self-governing and self-regulating in
historical perspective. At the workshop much attention will be given to the
historical analysis of common land regimes, which has witnessed a clear
shift in focus from the study of the abolition of commons towards the
analysis of the internal logic of their functioning. The workshop however
also aims at attracting studies of the regulation of other types of
self-governing institutions. In general, we aim at understanding how
efficient and effective regulation can be developed, in a context of
self-governing, collective institutions, both in rural and urban contexts.
In such institutions, rules were designed and put into practice by the
stakeholders themselves. Many questions however still remain unanswered:

*              How did stakeholders make sure that the body of rules they
designed remained effective, efficient and sufficiently simple for all to
understand and apply?

*              Were old rules replaced by entirely new ones, or were they
simply adjusted to the new circumstances?

*              Were rules always designed according to what the local users
thought was needed, or were rules copied from other examples in the
vicinity?

*              How did rule-makers ensure that sanctions were avoided as
much as possible?

*              What level of sanctioning was sufficient to scare off
potential free-riders?

These and related questions will be at the core of the meeting.

The organizers encourage in particular submissions that introduce new
historical source material and novel ways of using historical sources,
inspired by other social sciences. The organizers welcome in particular
quantitative and long-term studies, that are also able to connect
historical developments to contemporary debates surrounding the management
of commons. All abstracts and papers should be submitted and presented in
English.

Abstracts of papers should be submitted *by 25 March 2014*; the final
papers are due by 15 October 2014. Travel and accommodation expenses of the
(principal) authors of the papers selected for inclusion in the workshop
will be reimbursed. A selection of the best papers will be considered for
publication as part of a special issue for a relevant peer-reviewed
English-language journal in the field.

For more info and the full Call for Papers, please visit
*http://www.collective-action.info/_AGE_20141030_UPN-Pamplona
<http://www.collective-action.info/_AGE_20141030_UPN-Pamplona> *

*________________________________*

In addition, we would also like to draw your attention to the Call for
Papers of the *3rd IASC European Meeting*. This meeting, entitled 'From
generation to generation - the use of commons in a changing society' will
be held on 16-19 September 2014 in Umeå, Sweden. Abstracts with a maximum
of 400 words should be submitted *before 1 April 2014*; final papers are
due 18 August 2014. For more info and submitting your abstract, please
visit *http://www.slu.se/en/departments/forest-economics/iasc-2014/abstract-submission/
<http://www.slu.se/en/departments/forest-economics/iasc-2014/abstract-submission/>*

Kind regards,

Tine De Moor*.*

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/