[P2P-F] Fwd: [Commoning] "...eventually the Commoners collapse completely, followed by the Elites."

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Mar 18 01:51:55 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: mp <mp at aktivix.org>
Date: Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Subject: [Commoning] "...eventually the Commoners collapse completely,
followed by the Elites."
To: Commoning List <commoning at lists.wissensallmende.de>

And Now for Something Completely Different:

NASA-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible
collapse'?
Natural and social scientists develop new model of how 'perfect storm'
of crises could unravel global system

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2014/mar/14/nasa-civilisation-irreversible-collapse-study-scientists

Excerpt:

Modelling a range of different scenarios, Motesharri and his colleagues
conclude that under conditions "closely reflecting the reality of the
world today... we find that collapse is difficult to avoid." In the
first of these scenarios, civilisation:

    ".... appears to be on a sustainable path for quite a long time, but
even using an optimal depletion rate and starting with a very small
number of Elites, the Elites eventually consume too much, resulting in a
famine among Commoners that eventually causes the collapse of society.
It is important to note that this Type-L collapse is due to an
inequality-induced famine that causes a loss of workers, rather than a
collapse of Nature."

Another scenario focuses on the role of continued resource exploitation,
finding that "with a larger depletion rate, the decline of the Commoners
occurs faster, while the Elites are still thriving, but eventually the
Commoners collapse completely, followed by the Elites."

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/