[P2P-F] News Challenge Submission - Build a Global Platform for Transition to an Open Knowledge Society

Kevin Flanagan kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:23:47 CET 2014

Show your support for the submission to the Knight News Challenge to build
on the experience of the floksociety.org project and create a global
platform for transition to an open knowledge society. You can help by
spreading the word or show a little love by applauding the project and
others on
www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/a-global-platform-for-research-and-collaboration-for-transition-policies-to-an-open-knowledge-society

------------------------------
In ONE sentence, tell us about your project to strengthen the Internet for
free expression and innovation.
We're working to create a permanent, expandable platform for open
technology-focused policy making, as free technical infrastructures can
only exist in the favourable context of a more open society.
Who will benefit from what you propose? What have you observed that makes
you think that?
The project has the potential to empower and transform local policy and
decision-making processes through our open knowledge platform. Following
the global responses we have received, we believe that the time is right
for an expanded effort rooted in various locations, in order to refine
locally-adapted policy models, validated by local input and experience. A
truly open Internet doesn't only depend on the interconnection of bottom-up
open technologies, but also requires policy frameworks that are favourable
to their adoption and maintenance. Cities, regions, nation-states and
supra-national entities will be able to benefit from collaborative open
policy-making, learning from each other's experiences.
What progress have you made so far?
FLOKS' collaborative efforts have already produced 10 draft policy
proposals toward an integrated transition program, the first effort of its
kind. Our documents on Human Capabilities, Commons Oriented Productive
Capacities, Social Infrastructure and Institutional Innovation, Open
Technical Infrastructures, and Commons Infrastructure for Collective Life
may be viewed (under the heading of Research - Streams) on the FLOKSociety
wiki (en.wiki.floksociety.org). These proposals will be presented and
discussed at a global-local summit in Quito at the end of May 2014.

Show your support for a global platform for transition to an open knowledge
society on
www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/a-global-platform-for-research-and-collaboration-for-transition-policies-to-an-open-knowledge-society

Our friends from the P2P Lab in Greece have also made a submission - The
P2P Urbanism Platform: From the Social to the Urban Web
https://www.newschallenge.org/challenge/2014/submissions/the-p2p-urbanism-platform-from-the-social-to-the-urban-web

source -
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/knight-news-challenge-submission-a-global-platform-for-transition-to-an-open-knowledge-society/2014/03/17