[P2P-F] Fwd: [Networkedlabour] Fwd: [historicalmaterialism] International workshop: New agendas in critical and radical history. Amsterdam Dec 11-12.

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Jun 25 17:38:01 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Örsan Şenalp <orsan1234 at hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Subject: [Networkedlabour] Fwd: [historicalmaterialism] International
workshop: New agendas in critical and radical history. Amsterdam Dec 11-12.
To: networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* "Historical Materialism News news at historicalmaterialism.org
[historicalmaterialism]" <historicalmaterialism-noreply at yahoogroups.com>
*Date:* 23 Jun 2014 17:57:52 GMT+2
*To:* historicalmaterialism at yahoogroups.com
*Subject:* *[historicalmaterialism] International workshop: New agendas in
critical and radical history. Amsterdam Dec 11-12 <11-12>.*
*Reply-To:* historicalmaterialism-owner at yahoogroups.com

International workshop:
New agendas in critical and radical history

At least in Western-Europe and the US, radical approaches to history
writing have long held a position in the margins of the field. This has
been true since the decline in popularity of ‘critical theory’ and ‘history
from below’ associated with the new social movements of the 1960s and
1970s. But there are signs of a revival. The global financial crisis that
started in 2008 prompted new interest in the long history of capitalism,
often intended to examine the ‘historic roots’ of the system’s most obvious
flaws. The combined challenges of postcolonial theory and the re-emergence
of vigorously nationalist and exclusionist discourse in the former colonial
states have forced historians to re-engage with classical ideas on
emancipation, race, and global inequality. Growing ecological concerns have
spilled over into the writing of a new history of the changing relationship
between humans and their natural environment. A new wave of ‘history from
below’ has started to stress the transnational connections of the subaltern
classes, as well as transcontinental flows of popular movements even before
the era of the Industrial Revolution.

This workshop aims to bring together historians identifying with ‘critical’
or ‘radical history’ as a project in order to charge new terrain. Its
central question is how radical history can contribute to formulating new
agendas for research. The workshop will be organized around four themes:

*i)                    **The historiographical legacy of critical and
radical history*: in this theme we aim to explore the continuing relevance
of twentieth century contributions to radical history writing, e.g. E.P.
Thompson’s *The making of the English working class*, history from below,
Foucault’s rethinking of power, world-system theory, subaltern studies, etc.

*ii)                  **Renewals in critical and radical history: *in this
theme we aim to discuss how new theoretical / historiographical approaches
can contribute to the development of the field of history in the 21st century,
e.g. on rethinking class, gender, ecology, global inequality, etc.

*iii)                **The contribution of critical and radical history to
specific research fields: *in this theme we invite presentations of current
research that contributes to the development of radical history in specific
fields.

*iv)                **The Netherlands and its empire as a case-study for
the potential of critical and radical history: *in this theme we invite
presentations of current research that employs radical / critical
approaches in writing the history of the Netherlands and its empire.

For this international workshop, we invite papers that reflect both ‘work
in progress’ or finished research in any of these four topics. In doing so,
we hope to bring together historians identifying with the project of
developing new radical / critical approaches to history writing, stimulate
the exchange of ideas, and formulate new agendas for research.

Pepijn Brandon (VU / University of Pittsburgh), Maral Jefroudi (IISH),
Marcel van der Linden (IISH), David Mayer (editor International Review of
Social History / IISH).

The workshop will take place at the International Institute of Social
History in Amsterdam, 12 December 2014. Keynote speech 11 December, Prof.
Robin Blackburn, Essex University.

Please send your abstract to criticalhistorians at gmail.com before 10 July
2014.
Published in
http://www.historicalmaterialism.org/news/distributed/international-workshop-new-agendas-in-critical-and-radical-history.-amsterdam-dec-11-12

 __._,_.___
  ------------------------------
Posted by: Historical Materialism News <news at historicalmaterialism.org>
------------------------------
•  Reply to sender
<news at historicalmaterialism.org?subject=Re%3A%20International%20workshop%3A%20New%20agendas%20in%20critical%20and%20radical%20history%2E%09Amsterdam%20Dec%2011-12%2E>
•  Reply to group
<historicalmaterialism at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20International%20workshop%3A%20New%20agendas%20in%20critical%20and%20radical%20history%2E%09Amsterdam%20Dec%2011-12%2E>
• Start a New Topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/historicalmaterialism/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJmN2ZtbHZ0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5NjY4NTYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTY3Njk2NARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzE0MDM3MDU1ODI->
• Messages in this topic
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/historicalmaterialism/conversations/topics/2841;_ylc=X3oDMTM1cDMyNHZkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5NjY4NTYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTY3Njk2NARtc2dJZAMyODQxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQwMzcwNTU4MgR0cGNJZAMyODQx>
(1)
Visit Your Group
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/historicalmaterialism/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZWVuZnZtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5NjY4NTYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTY3Njk2NARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzE0MDM3MDU1ODI->

   - New Members
   <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/historicalmaterialism/members/all;_ylc=X3oDMTJnN2JrMTZsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE5NjY4NTYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTY3Njk2NARzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxNDAzNzA1NTgy>
   1

 [image: Yahoo! Groups]
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaDBsMXQ2BF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzE5NjY4NTYxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTY3Njk2NARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNnZnAEc3RpbWUDMTQwMzcwNTU4Mg-->
• Privacy <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html> •
Unsubscribe
<historicalmaterialism-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe> • Terms
of Use <https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/>

   .

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/