[P2P-F] Fwd: Peak hierarchy

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Jun 23 17:54:44 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Week (Assai) <dew at assai.com.au>
Date: Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Subject: Peak hierarchy
To: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>

QUOTE:

Ray's keynote address focused on the disconnect between what science knows
and what business does. For example, in order for people to remain
productive, people need to be kept in a 'reward' state. This isn't
necessarily about money or accolades, rather, it refers to how the brain is
organised.  At any given moment, we can be either calm and engaged, moving
towards an experience, or we can feel threatened and want to move away from
an experience –  in other words, so stressed we feel pushed into a fight or
flight state. The problem is that many workplaces are set up in such a way
that people are kept uncertain, worried about status, with little autonomy. *A
command-and-control hierarchy actually prevents people from being
productive.*

Science tells us that we can do only one thing at a time, and yet more and
more demands are heaped on our heads. We are asked to do more with less
support. Time is fractured by long meetings and constant interruptions.
Multitasking is a myth and yet many businesses require their employees to
switch tasks all day long. Not only does this tire the brain, leading to
increasing ineffectiveness, but it can take up to 23 minutes to get back
into the thinking space you were in before the interruption.

*"It's a wonder we get anything done at all," Ray says.*
http://neurocapability.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/disconnect-what-science-knows-versus-what-business-does/

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/