[P2P-F] FLOK (the concept) and P2P: what's next?

Fabio Barone holon.earth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 11:11:56 CEST 2014

Dear Michel,

thank you for your detailed response.
My focus indeed is the societal transition, not the acronym or the project
or the concept.

In fact, absolutely looking ahead, I pose myself a few questions. Maybe I
am getting lost and got confused through the very idea of hacking a
country, or maybe I am loosing my mind altogether, hehe.

I agree that the concept of hacking a country is dubious. In my eyes, not
because they are not executable programs, but because there are established
power dynamics and encrusted processes and structures very difficult to
overcome, among other things. Also, "plugging in" to a current government
without changing the underlying logic exposes itself to the risk of loosing
everything again after the next elections. Doesn't look like a stable
transition to me, although such efforts could become valuable "prototypes".

So the questions:
- Could it be more productive and effective to concentrate on "our" ground:
P2P connections, direct connections between us, and focus on forming
virtual and physical communities, do business, learn and teach together,
produce and share our knowledge, holding up the "open" principle in
whatever we do, instead of tackling the state level?
- Is the "Commons Transition" limited in any way if it doesn't espouse the
"partner state" principle? Alternatives?
- On the other hand, we could think of a "Commons Utopia". How would it
operate, would there be a state? What about the law system for example? How
would a "Transitioned Commons" body be organized? Anarchy? Or is it beyond
the P2P idea to address the state level itself?

I think to have understood that societal transitions don't occur in
isolation, or in niches, or layers, but as holistic expressions of the
current world view. Please forgive the rhetoric, but collaboration,
sharing, community, connection, along sustainability and harmony with our
environment and fellow living beings are new values no doubt emerging more
and more (along with their dark sides though: totalitarianism, control,
centralization, domination), which are though still trapped in a corset of
the status quo. So maybe with time things may "just" emerge, and we should
just joyfully play along and try things out, create, throw away, fork and
share. Utopias don't seem to work well in reality.

Maybe these questions lead nowhere, divert attention and valuable time and
produce more confusion than ideas. And even if they are valuable, they
might not be answerable in an email, and not in a few minutes. I am curious
about reactions...