[P2P-F] Fwd: [Networkedlabour] SaysUs project seek floss collaborators

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Jul 15 06:12:21 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Orsan <orsan1234 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:34 AM
Subject: [Networkedlabour] SaysUs project seek floss collaborators
To: squares <squares at lists.takethesquare.net>, "<
networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>" <networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org>

Dear friends,

Below is an open invitation for floss developers, commoners, activists and
anyone who shares the vision, we tried to formulate in the text as simple
as possible.

SaysUs just joined in May First / People link, and we sent the below text
to the comrades involved in and collaborate with her may. Mayfirst.org has
been providing many useful services to activists and movements around the
world. Since I believe wholeheartedly that most of the comrades on these
lists share similar values and virtues with our comrades engaged in may
first / people link network, that is why didn't see the necessity to adopt
the text so sending you as it is.

The concept is still draft and we would like to let you know that we seek
any kind of solidarity from you to take the idea further and make it real.
We would appreciate if you join us and / or pass our word to your comrades
you know or think who might be interested in joining their labour and
creativity with us:

"Says-Us (see http://www.saysus.net) is a new member of may first / people
link.  We propose the creation of a web facility, a portal, to facilitate
the ability of millions of people to tell their own stories, to write
anonymous complaints, about work, housing, health care, schools,
unemployment, prison, government, almost anything, as it affects them.

Many job related web sites have already shown that, given the chance to
safely complain, people will do so. Unfortunately, existing corporate sites
are oriented towards helping employers find cheap labor, and to sell
advertising, not to helping change workplace practices. Non-corporate sites
are particular to one union or reform organization and are not sufficiently
generalized or allowing of self-organization.

Jobvent.com <http://jobvent.com/> collected as many as 100K complaints
about 10K companies. The
complaints were then destroyed when jobvent was acquired by Glassdoor.com
<http://glassdoor.com/>.
Sites like glassdoor are spaces where hard-to-organize flex-jobs seekers may
read about and learn from each other's experiences. But site users are not
offered any course of action except the obvious - to avoid employment at the
worst offender companies.

Says-Us will be different from job-recruitment sites and complaint forums
because it will offer users opportunities for self-organization, the ability
to find and address each other, as well as assistance, and organizational
help to those who want it. Site users will be able to find others with
similar complaints, by organization and location.  If they work for the same
company (anywhere in the world), have the same landlord, are dealing with
the same predatory bank, government, etc they will be able to find each
other by anonymous site id.  They can pick thresholds of action, and choose
from many forms of action, should they decide to do so.

Best practices, "pros", will also be collected, allowing users to identify
organizations that both have good employment practices as well as socially
useful product.  Labor unions, labour activists and trans-local social
justice and community organizing / collective action / activists will be
able to be "found" on the site by those in need of their services and open
to their messages.

We would like to develop the ideas and build the site in line with
open-source and libre philosophy: p2p, distributed, highly secure, scalable,
not-for-profit, user extendable (by data fields), enabling self-organizing
and empowerment, multi-lingual, web and especially mobile applicable. A
simple user interface will allow people to move readily from complaints and
issues to self-empowerment, self-organizing, and self determined
communication and action through existing organizations.

Gateways to whistleblowing projects (like Wikileaks, Associated
Whistleblowers Press, LabourLeaks, or WildLeaks) or progressive and
independent unions, or relevant how-to, self-learn or Do-It-Yourself
projects, hacker spaces, mediaLabs and other alternative economy-solidarity
networks can be offered in the Take Action section.

As may first / people link members can see, this potentially important
facility would need help from people of many interests, skills, and
dedication. We would need help with requirements, understanding of
technological possibilities and needs, simple and attractive user interface
design, security and scalability, coding, open-source knowledge,
coordination, legal help, multi-language translation, and financial help.

At the monent we use a doku wiki build in on our online workgroup
(https://on.usilive.org/dokuwiki/972/) on the Organizing Network -which is
project being developed by another may first / people link member, Union
Solidarity International. Since you need to register Organizing Network to
log in and join the group, we might use another location [like a SaysUs
media-wiki] to develop the ideas for the site, the user interface, and other
requirements.

We would love for any form of assistance possible from MayFirst members. We,
Frank and Örsan, (http://saysus.net/who-are-we/) care most that the project
be implemented well, by many people of skill, vision and of passion for
justice, democracy, freedom, and equality.  Please get in touch with us, for
a discussion or to help. There is a contact form at the bottom of the
who-are-we page."

In solidarity, Orsan

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/