[P2P-F] Fwd: Pixelache Helsinki festival dedicated to commons theme

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Fri Jan 24 16:20:08 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pixelache Helsinki <newsletter at pixelache.ac>
Date: Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:42 AM
Subject: Pixelache Helsinki January Newsletter
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

      *PIXELACHE HELSINKI NEWSLETTER 1 / 2014*
 View<http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=9fa5fb766b&e=fed413a261>
newsletter
in your browser.
                Camp Pixelache 2014: Vartiosaari, 6-8. June
<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=5c961406b9&e=fed413a261>

Pixelache Helsinki Festival 2014 will be an international 2-day
trans-disciplinary event focusing on the theme of “The Commons”, including
bio-, urban culture and knowledge commons topics. Adding a new island to
its logbook after
Suomenlinna<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=9d9acab367&e=fed413a261>(2011)
and
Naissaar<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=e88b18dfdf&e=fed413a261>(2013),
Camp Pixelache will take up residence in
Vartiosaari<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=e4dc2172ea&e=fed413a261>,
a nature island surrounded by eastern suburbs of Helsinki, during 6-8th
June 2014.

Based on previous Camp Pixelache experiments, the event is designed around
two main unconference days. Except for keynote lectures planned in advance,
typically at unconferences the agenda will be shaped and confirmed by the
attendees at the beginning of the event. Anyone who wants to initiate a
discussion on a commons-related topic can claim a time and a space. The
event is free of charge. Several events will be organized around the main
Camp Pixelache days, including a programme of participatory workshops.

According to Michel
Bauwens<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=868c81a8c5&e=fed413a261>,
“the Commons consist of any common resource that is available to all, and
as such there are many type of Commons but basically two: physical
resources or man-made. The Commons is also a series of specific
institutional formats used to manage such common resources.” On the local
Commons.fi<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=b166fd6397&e=fed413a261>web-presence,
the following examples of Commons are also given: Shared
natural resources, free software, open data, p2p networks, co-operatives,
co-cultures, talkoots, street art, as well as many other commonly-known
past, present and future manifestations.”

Pixelache already has a long history of engaging with collaborative digital
media and particularly with knowledge-sharing and Free/Libre Open Source
culture. Early in Pixelache Helsinki's development, a social science paper
by Katri Halonen<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=e7d105f20e&e=fed413a261>,
correctly identified the strong co-relations between open-source ideology,
and the influencing thematic and organizational structure of the festival.
Pixelache Festival 2014 engages further in Commons issues, specifically
from the angle of educational and cultural production strategies and
sustainability. As a trans-disciplinary cultural festival, we believe in
the necessity to develop trans-disciplinary capacities to tackle together
issues of the Commons, such as environmental protection and sustainable
nature-resource utilization/management, as well as resisting privatizing
forces on all aspects of life.

Camp Pixelache's main venue
Vartiosaari<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=94235d2f1a&e=fed413a261>demonstrates
many aspects of the Commons as an undeveloped nature and
recreation island in the middle of suburban city sprawl, which hosts
numerous social and association-run wooden summer-villa retreats and
special features. The island is currently under-threat of full-scale
residential development
<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=135b8323e0&e=fed413a261>by
Helsinki City Planning
Department<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=6619463eb4&e=fed413a261>,
and there is a grassroots
campaign<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=40688df2f0&e=fed413a261>to
protect it's particular qualities, in which artists & cultural
practitioners are involved. We are hoping that the occasion of Camp
Pixelache can also provide a discussion forum around Helsinki-Commons
issues. If you would like to get involved, please contact office [-at-]
pixelache.ac

Learn more..<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=30b755f8e1&e=fed413a261>
            FACEBOOK<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=9ea5f6c3ac&e=fed413a261>
    TWITTER<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=25c3266f62&e=fed413a261>

   UPCOMING

*January*
*24-31.1*: Evelyn Müüsepp's
<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=91c4963b0c&e=fed413a261>
Micro-residency
*28.1*: Foodycle<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=8fd2add624&e=fed413a261>Open
Planning Meeting

*February*
*04.2: *Trashlab at Kaupunkiverstas
<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=0f44260e9a&e=fed413a261>
*12.2*: PhotoTaggingAmok<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=f7fa90e616&e=fed413a261>
*13.2: *Start of Hanna Harris' residency

*March*
*04.3*: Trashlab at Kaupunkiverstas
<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=e878859e69&e=fed413a261>
*04-11.3*: Salah Maloulih's Micro-residency
         *Pixelversity 2014 Programme * In 2014,
Pixelversity<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=ba87f3b07f&e=fed413a261>outreach
& education programme continues consolidating previous themes, and
introducing a few new ones: *InfoWork, Trashlab, AV-Culture, Ruins*, and
other things not yet become.

Special attention will be given to the *'InfoWork'* that is done in the
organisation, including documention and archiving. There will be ongoing
Amok events (Photo-tagging & Data-entry) on our
photo-archive<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=8cfc43415d&e=fed413a261>,
several media streaming workshops focused on open source software/hardware
solutions, aswell as interview and research initiatives related to, for
example, Maaland<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=fc5c32cdaf&e=fed413a261>initiative.
With our 'Narratives' project, we will endeavour use some time
and resources later in the year to record the narratives of those involved
in Pixelache. These activities are supported by a grant from the Ministry
of Culture for cultural knowledge-sharing in digital
forms<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=a40997944a&e=fed413a261>.
The InfoWork theme also gives experience for revealing the
social-organisational processes events involved in open-plan event
production, via our EU Grundtvig-supported Open Learning Steps and
Open-sourcing Festivals (OLSOF) network project, which will be announced
publically in February.

Read More..<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=0e1bdcbcc7&e=fed413a261>

*New Micro-Residencies' season!*
Since the year 2012, Pixelache has offered 3-4
micro-residencies<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=5350201df4&e=fed413a261>positions
per year, concentrated on 3 to 7 days periods.

They are based on invitation for professionals of Pixelache’s extended
network. They are not oriented towards new productions as such but rather
function as spaces for informal knowledge exchange and inspiration, between
the resident and the host organisation, and to some extent between the
resident & the local scene. Micro-residencies set out to be
micro-laboratories where different tools, approaches, ideas can be tested,
to re-invent cultural production models in general, and consequently, our
organisations themselves. Most of them include a public event where our
guests present their practice and projects.

We have the pleasure to welcome our first 2014 resident during 24-31
January. Evelyn
Müürsepp-Grzinich<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=9189e7dba3&e=fed413a261>is
a visual artist and cultural coordinator, based in South-east Estonia.
We also like to invite people very near us to be micro-residents at
Pixelache office, and we are thus delighted to host Helsinki-based curator,
producer and researcher Hanna
Harris<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=11a3e122ac&e=fed413a261>around
mid-February. Our last micro-resident this winter is Moroccan
cultural producer Salah
Malouli<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=e5f3253af1&e=fed413a261>,
visiting during 4-11 March.

*Join The Next Photo Tagging Amok!*

As the continuation of an archiving process that started a couple of years
ago, and as an exploration of peer-production tools, Pixelache is
organizing a series of open sessions focusing on how to archive Pixelache's
~30,000 photos from the past 12 years. These sessions are called Photo
Tagging Amoks and are led by Pixelache's all time photographer Antti
Ahonen. Have a look at our progress so
far<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=88b714ecaf&e=fed413a261>
.

Next month's Photo Tagging Amok event, featuring a pot of Antti's soup,
will take place on *Wednesday 12.2* at Pixelache
office<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=0ea493d73d&e=fed413a261>.
The two first Amoks have focused on 2013 pictures, and the series on each
occasion endeavours to go further back in time. For example, the November
event will focus on the tagging of 2012 photo material. Read
More<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=2cadf3551f&e=fed413a261>

   *Open-Sourcing Festivals*

How does an organisation open-source their cultural festival? Can we share
the process for organising a festival, so that other groups can use it
themselves?
How do organisations support activities and events throughout the year? Can
we share the process for sustaining ongoing programs, so that other groups
can do this too?

These are the questions that five experimental art, design and technology
organisations from the Pixelache
Network<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=bdfa979c05&e=fed413a261>are
asking themselves and others, and exploring, through a mobile circuit
of workshops and seminars organized across Europe during 2013-2015. In the
process, Piksel<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=ba6401f92e&e=fed413a261>
 (NO), Pikslaverk<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=a5e3d61852&e=fed413a261>
 (IS), Mal au Pixel<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=2c0665fae5&e=fed413a261>
(FR)
and Pixelache<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=1d418fd63e&e=fed413a261>
(FI)
will gradually be working towards 'open-sourcing' their festival skills and
tools to provide them to their UK partner Access Space
Network<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=f0d1883586&e=fed413a261>,
who will test and utilise them in organising their first major digital
culture festival, the closing event of this process.
Read more<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=2e549086f5&e=fed413a261>

*Trashlab at Kaupunkiverstas (1st Tuesday eve each month in 2014)*

Trashlab<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=4e1a178d8b&e=fed413a261>(formerly
known as Trashlab Repair Cafe) events are social occasions to
gather and try to  fix the things you have that are broken, and meet others
who care about  tinkering, fixing, hacking, and the problem of waste and
obsolescence in society. For each event we have at least two expert-hosts,
who will try to identify the problems or diagnose the broken item.

We encourage people also to share their skills, learn from peer to peer and
develop their own methods. While Trashlab cannot guarantee that all items
are fixed (some might get diagnosed, some even more broken) - we can
guarantee that participants will get more information on how to proceed
with their broken item. Trashlab provides basic tools and materials for
fixing, but if you have very specific items, you´d like to fix, please
notify us in advance: paivi.raivio [-at-] gmail.com

Kaupunkiverstas<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=94a6b0843e&e=fed413a261>is
the city library´s makerspace which has been opened in Lasipalatsi
(former Kohtaamispaikka). The makerspace is open for all and is equipped
with: 3D-printers, 3D-milling machine, Vinyl cut labels and for packages,
dedicated cartoon work-station where you can make your own comics, workshop
spaces...

Participation to Trashlab is free but we happily accept small donations,
which will go towards the tools and materials. Read
More..<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=8fad5765e0&e=fed413a261>
   *Come & Develop Ideas with us for Foodycle 2014!*

Foodycle<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=2ac457c720&e=fed413a261>,
a trans-disciplinary food festival was organised for the first time in
Helsinki during 12-13.9, as a collaboration between Ruoan
Tulevaisuus<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=63aa02801c&e=fed413a261>and
Pixelache<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=85faeb57e5&e=fed413a261>.
Foodycle Festival #2 is planned to take place in September again this year.
We hope that many of last year's participants as well as newcomers take
part in developing ideas for the 2014 edition of the festival, and help
Foodycle become more of a community of people eager to improve our food
system!

You are mostly welcome to join our open Foodycle '14 open planning meeting
next Tuesday 28.1 from 18-20 at Pixelache
office<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=e50ff9f840&e=fed413a261>in
Suvilahti (Building 7, A-entrance, on the Kalasatama side). We have a
special guest attending, Evelyn Müürsepp
<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=db1e3b6b83&e=fed413a261>from
MoKS<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=30de7905ac&e=fed413a261>(Southeast
Estonia), who is the founder the Mooste Food Club, and currently
our micro-resident<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=7a7dab4752&e=fed413a261>at
Pixelache.

We hope that many of the participants will continue contributing and help
Foodycle to become a community of people with different backgrounds sharing
ideas & tools for improving our food system. - See more at:
http://www.pixelache.ac/blog/2013/foodycle-report-on-a-transdisciplinary-experience/#sthash.gQ4TFA6e.dpuf

Foodycle Festival #2 will take place in September again this year. You are
mostly welcome to join our open Foodycle 14′ open planning meeting next
Tuesday 28.1 from 6 to 8 pm at Pixelache office in Suvilahti (Building 7,
A-entrance, on the kalasatama side). We have a special guest from Moks in
Estonia attending the meeting, who is currently a micro-resident at
Pixelache. Her name is Evelyn Müürsepp and she is the founder the Mooste
Food Club - See more at:
http://www.pixelache.ac/blog/2014/foodycle-14-open-planning-meeting-28-1-klo-18-20-00/#sthash.NcXpfIKj.dpu
            Pixelache in
Facebook<http://pixelache.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d008242ccaa382fc8689a70f1&id=d1920eefe0&e=fed413a261>|