[P2P-F] Fwd: It's back.

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Feb 25 13:26:07 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eduardo Santaela - 350.org <350 at 350.org>
Date: Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Subject: It's back.
To: Bauwens Michel <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

 Friends,

I've got good news and bad news.

Good news first: negotiations for the "Trans Pacific Partnership", a secret
"free" trade agreement that could trash the climate, were temporarily put
on hold thanks to a massive public outcry.

*Now for the bad news:* the TPP menace is back. Despite the global
outpouring of opposition to this corporate giveaway, governments around the
world are on the verge of locking in an agreement. Not surprisingly, the
fossil fuel industry is helping lead the charge for a swift passage of this
climate disaster.

*Negotiators are meeting right now in Singapore to lock a deal -- but
there's still a chance that we can stop this. We've done it once, and we
can do it again*. This time, let's make sure all governments withdraw their
support for TPP for good:

*Click here to tell governments to reject the Trans Pacific Partnership.
<http://act.350.org/go/4225?t=1&akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>*

The TPP is so secretive that elected officials, civil society and the press
have been shut out of negotiations. It is no coincidence that negotiators
chose Singapore to meet: the country is one of the most strict places in
the world when it comes to public demonstrations. And we had big plans at
the meeting -- a team of volunteer activists was organising a petition
delivery, but due to high security risks at the place, the plans had to be
cancelled.

*Corporations are trying to silence our movement, so we need to raise our
voices even louder. *If delegates are working with the fossil fuel industry
on an agreement that puts our planet at stake -- without even letting
people express their concerns -- than this can't be a good deal for people
or the planet.

Leaked text from Wikileaks confirms our worst fears: the TPP would empower
fossil fuel companies to directly sue governments over laws and policies
that they claim reduce their profits. Legislation designed to address
climate change, curb fossil fuel expansion and reduce air pollution could
all be subject to attack as a result of the TPP. This agreement could well
be an enormous corporate power grab made at the expense of our democracy
and our climate.

It's strange enough that our governments aren't boasting about the benefits
TPP would bring.

*They're barely mentioning the deal in public, and are keeping public
opinion as far as they can from negotiations**.* That's why there's no
consensus among negotiators. And that's why millions of people across the
world are opposing TPP.

*Stand with the people urging world leaders to reject the Trans Pacific
Partnership <http://act.350.org/go/4225?t=2&akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>*

Let's make them get our message loud and clear: the fossil fuel industry
can try to make TPP secretive. They can try to keep us from reaching the
negotiators. But they can't prevent people-power from standing against
what's wrong for the planet.

Onward,

Eduardo

*Sources:*

Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) - Environment Chapter -
Wikileaks <http://act.350.org/go/4728?t=3&akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>

TPPA Environment Chapter & Chair's Commentary Posted by WikiLeaks - Issues
for NZ - Wikileaks <http://act.350.org/go/4729?t=4&akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>

TPP - power to the corporations at the expense of the planet -
Ecologist<http://act.350.org/go/4730?t=5&akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>
 ------------------------------
350.org <http://350.org?akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk> is building a global
climate movement. Connect with us on
Facebook<http://facebook.com/350.org?akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>and
Twitter <http://twitter.com/350>, and sign up for email
alerts<http://act.350.org/signup/signup/?akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>.
You can help power our work by making a
donation.<https://act.350.org/donate/build/?akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>
change your email address or update your contact info, click
here.<https://act.350.org/login/?next=/me/update/&akid=4225.360134.k7rXvk>

* To stop receiving emails from 350.org <http://350.org>, click here.
*

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/