[P2P-F] Fwd: Kosmos | Threats to Democracy and more

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Feb 19 15:49:16 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nancy Roof <nancy at kosmosjournal.org>
Date: Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Subject: Kosmos | Threats to Democracy and more
To: Recipient <michelsub2004 at gmail.com>

         Kosmos Newsletter
* Creating the New Civilization for the Common Good  *
February 19, 2014

<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534972>

*SUBSCRIBE: print
<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534973>
or digital
<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534974>
Buy current issue here
<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534975>*
 Dear Friends,

This week we bring you some alarming news concerning threats to democracy
in the US and worldwide. It is hard for most Americans to realize that our
country's longstanding position as the world's leading democracy is in
danger. When three reports converge, it is time to
wake-up.

Freedom of the press, the foundation of democracy, is fast declining in the
US. *State of Power 2014* tells the story of corporations in collusion with
governments increasing their power at the expense of the people. And
finally the threat to our privacy and freedom from pervasive forms of
surveillance.

There is good news, as well, with the announcement of the New Story Summit
to take place in September 2014 at Findhorn. We are excited to be part of
this Summit. In addition, we bring you Part Four of the Collective
Presencing Series that has been so popular with our readers. It describes
the generative nature of "We-Space" at the subtle levels. Enjoy and learn
together.

Warmly,

Nancy  <http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=535082>
GARDEN HARVEST AT FINDHORN

  *ANNOUNCING THE NEW STORY SUMMIT*

"For people, generally, their story of the universe and the human role in
the universe is their primary source of intelligibility and value...The
deepest crises experienced by any society are those moments of change when
the story becomes inadequate for meeting the survival demands of a present
situation."

*By Thomas Berry, Dream of the Earth*

Already oversubscribed, Findhorn Foundation will host a summit from
9/27-10/3/2014 offered as a gift to the world and based on the Gift
Economy, with such notables as Charles Eisenstein, Satish Kumar, Elisabet
Sahtouris and more. Fortunately, *Kosmos* signed up in time and will be
participating in this extraordinary event. We will keep you informed.

Preview the New Story Summit
Brochure<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=535082>.

<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534977>
PRESS FREEDOM

  *WORLD PRESS FREEDOM INDEX 2014: US plummets to #46.*
By Reporters Without Borders

Can there be democracy without freedom of information? An alarming decline
in freedom of the press for the US, is based primarily on information and
the First Amendment being sacrificed for national security and
surveillance--in particular the pursuit of Private Bradley Manning and
Edward Snowden. Also sited, is the Department of Justice's seizure of
Associated Press phone records. China (175th) continues to jail dissident
bloggers and journalists.

See the color-coded Freedom of the Press Worldwide
Map<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534977>for
2014.  <http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534978>
WALL STREET
  *STATE OF POWER 2014*
By The Transnational Institute in collaboration with Occupy.com

This Report exposes and analyzes the principal power-brokers who have
caused financial, economic, social and ecological crises worldwide.

"Unless we know which elites control our wealth and resources, understand
how they influence political and social processes, and can identify the
systems, structures and policies by which they maintain their power, TNI
believes our hopes for advancing social and environmental justice are
slim."

*Kosmos* especially recommends Hilary Wainwright's article: *State of
Counter-Power - How understanding neoliberalism's cultural underpinnings
can equip movements to overthrow it.*

Read the State of Power 2014
Report<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534978>.
 <http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534979>
SURVEILLANCE IN THE US

  *INTERNET FREEDOM AND COVERT SURVEILLANCE*
By Michael Gurstein

"Given the possibilities of total electronic surveillance (in the immortal
words of General Alexander, the current head of the NSA--Total Information
Dominance)--and the absence of any effective controls on the use of
surveillance information for whatever purposes, the possibilities (and
temptations) for the misuse of this information are effectively
overwhelming. Those with access to this information are in a position to
put this information to use for national or corporate economic advantage,
for political manipulation, for individual targeting, for blackmail or
personal manipulation and even when used as a mechanical input into drone
warfare as a substitute for judge and jury in the rendering of the most
potent of judgments and penalties--that of death."

Read the riveting Internet Freedom and Covert
Surveillance<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534979>article
here.  <http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534980>
LIFE IS AN UNFOLDING
CREATIVE EVENT

  *COLLECTIVE PRESENCING - PART FOUR | The Circle of Creation: Building
Capacity for Generative Collective Action in Service of Life*
By Ria Baeck and Helen Titchen Beeth

"As we pursue the interweaving and interpenetration ever deeper and wider,
we come to realise that life is an unfolding, creative event that we can
learn to participate in, more consciously and intentionally, together. This
journey has brought us, the authors, to a point where we live life as
continuous action research, in a dance of constant learning with the
abundance of feedback from each step we take--in a reciprocal relationship
with a living universe. Far from being dry and heavy academic research, it
is an irrepressible curiosity about what more is possible..."

Read Part Four of Collective
Presencing<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534980>.
 <http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534981>
MARTHA GALLAHUE (right)

  *LETTER FROM KOSMOS SUBSCRIBER MARTHA GALLAHUE*

"As a long time subscriber, I am writing to let you know about the
practical benefit of reading your fine magazine *Kosmos*. In searching for
a topic for a Platform Talk, which I am hired to do monthly in an ethical
culture society in Maplewood, NJ, it occurred to me that I might use the
magazine as a launch...

In Maplewood, we invite volunteers to speak to our spiritual mission, to
celebrate the comprehensive interdependence of all life. We hold that all
life is sacred and our duty is to find human expression for that through
the greatest moral imperative right relationship... So I decided to speak
about *Kosmos* as an expression of our human opportunity to identify with
all life in the universe..."

Read Martha's inspiring
letter<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534981>here.
*Find us here:*

<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534982>

<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534983>
   <http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534984>
*Share this email:*

<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534985>

<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534986>

*Please forward to your friends.*

*aesthetic wisdom award-winning photography 80 evocative pages | no
advertisements *

*Kosmos Journal is a non-profit, private foundation that informs, inspires,
engages and connects individuals and organizations working to create a
sustainable, equitable, just and compassionate new world civilization. *

If you received this email from a friend, you can subscribe to this free
newsletter here<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534987>.

     Visit the Kosmos
Website<http://www.kosmosjournal.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=Link&VID=50108458&KID=204200&LID=534988>

Kosmos Associates Inc. | PO Box 2102 | Lenox | MA | 01240

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/