[P2P-F] Fwd: TedX : Studies on the Degree of Influence of Each Shareholder ( Metrics )

anna at shsh.co.uk anna at shsh.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 14:57:39 CET 2014

This study is presented as scientific' ie objective, not based on any personal ideology, because it deals in complexity theories with numbers and statistics. However the question posed, 'Who controls the world?', is already based on a certain ideological framework. The numbers are interesting, but they did not tell us anything we did not know before. Nor does it give us any clue as to how to change the system.

11:42
The punch line is delivered quite casually at the end - he says "...we could easily reproduce the TNC network with a few simple rules. This means that its structure is probably the result of self-organization. It's an emergent property which depends on the rules of interaction in the system, so it's probably not the result of a top-down approach like a global conspiracy." Then a graphic with the words : Self-organisation vs Global Conspiracy.

By comparing the economic system to a termite mound, he dispenses with any individual intentions as causation, and implies that these 'scientific' studies can help change the system. It is naive to think that scientific evidence will help change the system without taking into account that the small percentage in control have no wish to change. They do very well out of the instability which is created by the system, and have every intention of keeping it that way, even if it means the destruction of the basis for human life on the planet.

Anna

Sent from my iPad