[P2P-F] [Networkedlabour] Future Scenarios for a Collaborative Economy

Vasilis Kostakis kostakis.b at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 11:23:34 CET 2014

Dear Brian,

To begin with, your constructive critique shows that the main goal of our
short book is being real
ed. That is, to start thought-provoking and meaningful discussions and
debates
on various alternatives
. Hence, thank you very much for your time to read the book and provide us
with such a sophisticated critique which can make us only better.

Michel has replied perhaps much better than I could to your points.
However,
llow me to
contribute to our discussion by commenting on two points:

1) We chose to use the techno-economic paradigm shifts theory, and the
Perezian framework in particular, because: i) it helps us to recognize the
dynamic and changing nature of the capitalist system; ii) it embraces a
mild-technodeterminism that reflects how we understand the
various
p2p-
based
developments; iii) it allows to develop both capitalist and post-capitalist
scenarios (apparently, we are more focused on the latter) following
, say,
a "bird's-eye view" approach; iv) it is a well-established theoretical
framework understood and discussed even by mainstream scholars (therefore,
it can arguably promote the discussion
in other circles
); v) I have
been
a student and a collaborator of Perez :-)

2) Although we write somewhere that "Of course, we should be aware of
Federici's and Caffentzis' remark (2007, p. 70) that notions like
'cognitive labor' and 'cognitive capitalism' represent 'a part, though a
leading one, of capitalist development and that different forms of
knowledge and cognitive work exist that cannot be flattened under one
label'. In general, one could argue that capitalism, in the past, was
primarily concerned with the commodification of material...", we should
have dealt more with seemingly problematic or ambiguous terms like
cognitive capitalism, netarchical capitalism etc. Having recognized this
issue, we have published, with the support of
triple-C, a call for paper
(http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/announcement/view/23) that would
allow us to understand more on the socio-enviromental/labor issues around
peer production, amongst others.

Thank you once again,

All the best for 2015,

Vasilis

--
Dr. Vasilis Kostakis

Senior
esearch Fellow
Ragnar Nurkse School of Innovation and Governance

Research Director
P2P Lab: http://p2plab.org