[P2P-F] Fwd: I'm still here

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Dec 1 19:52:41 CET 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <douglas at rushkoff.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 5:07 AM
Subject: I'm still here
To: rushkoff at simplelists.com

Sorry for the radio silence.

I’ve been extraordinarily busy trying to finish my book on digital
economics while also starting up a new Masters in Media Studies at
CUNY/Queens. It’s all quite rewarding stuff, but extremely time consuming.
I’m triple-booked most of the time, and scrambling to keep up.

The one good thing about this is that it’s kept me from wasting time on my
devices. A few hours of email a day is all I have time for.

The downside is that I haven’t been as available to those of you who have
been asking for interviews or some words of wisdom on everything from Ebola
and Isis to Ferguson. I will get back into the swing of things within a
couple of months, promise. Still, I’m learning there’s something to be said
for not having something to say.

In immediate news:

1 - The new Masters program at Queens is open for business:
http://queenscollege.media tells the basic story. In short, you are all
welcome to apply to the program or to take any of my classes a la carte as
a non-matriculated student. I put the blurb on what it is about, below.

2 - I have been doing a very limited number of speaking engagements while I
work to finish the book. They’re always listed at http://rushkoff.com in
the right-hand column. Except for a talk at Yale on the evening of January
12, I’m not coming out until February when I’ve turned in the manuscript. I
did a couple of talks this Fall in Europe for small groups of billionaires,
which was extremely informative. More on that in my book. Suffice to say,
even the wealthy understand the current economic order is unsustainable.

3 - Very exciting stuff happening with my comics and novels getting
optioned for film and TV. Once I’m done with my book I may even have time
to help develop them.

4 - I have done a few local talks this season that have been recorded and
posted, one at an anti-TechnoUtopianism conference that Jerry Manders
convened at Cooper Union featuring Langdon Winner, Ralph Nader, me, and
many others. Also, this keynote at Hope College's Critical Issues
Symposium, entitled “Who is On Team Human? Programming the Future, with
People in Mind.” Link to video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gkwxseSc1Uk?modestbranding=1&rel=0&fs=1

5 - I am hoping to write a paper and deliver a talk about Loomio.org, the
General-Assembly-style consensus-building platform that is helping groups
like Podemos organize. That’d be at a conference called Circuits of
Struggle run by the Union for Democratic Communications, in Canada in May.
Could be a good time, and Astra Taylor will be doing the keynote.

Anyway, back to work for me. Here’s the announcement about the new Media
Studies opportunity. More soon, I promise.

QUEENS COLLEGE: A NEW MASTERS IN MEDIA STUDIES
Queens College, a mission-driven institution with a strong history of
public service, has launched a new kind of graduate Media Studies program,
uniquely positioned at the cross section of critical theory and
social justice. We are a community of world-renowned scholars
and practitioners working together to test our ideas, sharpen our
critical faculties, develop our research, and engage more purposefully and
effectively with the world around us.

The Media Studies community at Queens College works under the assumption
that media is no longer a particular vocation but the landscape in which
our society is developing. Its impact and effects are far-reaching, yet
little understood - especially by those creating the content and building
the platforms on which we all depend. This program is meant to restore
human agency and conscious intervention to the study and practice of media
and media arts, with a particular focus on activism, environmentalism, the
political economy, and social change.

The Masters Program offers a continually evolving curriculum, directed by
the lines of inquiry and developing practice of its ever-changing cadre of
students. After receiving a grounding in media archaeology and research
practice, students choose from a wide range of special topics from both
within our program and the entire CUNY graduate system - all guided by our
faculty and directed toward the student’s research or project goals. New
courses and colloquia are developed to address emerging student interests.
A unique weekly schedule of seminars associated with each media course
gives students the opportunity to engage frequently about their own study
areas and projects with their professors. The program culminates in
a Masters Thesis, which may take the form of a paper or, more likely,
a real-world project.

We evaluate candidates to the program based on their experiences and
intentions, and particularly welcome applications from activists, NGO
workers, independent scholars, current media professionals
and artists, political, legal, and economic analysts, or others looking for
an intellectual environment in which to challenge conventional
understanding of the media in order to engage with a range of vital
issues—from the environment to income inequality to gender issues to the
impact of commodity capitalism.

Learn to make media with purpose.

For more information, visit
http://queenscollege.media

----
This is RushkoffList, a monthlyish update and advance look at work in
progress. Feel free to
forward to your friends as long as you include this footer.
To unsubscribe:
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=grdK4Lvi7veNxafT2DxZrw1oAyoTFsEc

--
Check out the Commons Transition Plan here at:
http://en.wiki.floksociety.org/w/Research_Plan

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/