[P2P-F] Fwd: Slower, Deeper, More Simple

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Tue Aug 12 14:34:37 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kosmos Journal <info at kosmosjournal.org>
Date: Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Subject: Slower, Deeper, More Simple
To: michelsub2004 at gmail.com

    Click here
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=4a23ba3581&e=60482295ca>
to read this newsletter on our website.         [image: Kosmos Newsletter]
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=9734ba210e&e=60482295ca>
    DECEMBER
31, 1969 NEWSLETTER
Slower, Deeper, More Simple

Faster, bigger, more complex, more powerful. This is the vocabulary of
modern life we often draw upon to describe our science, technology and
human interactions. But maybe the very way we language our world separates
us from living more integrally in connection with these fields. If
something is so big and fast and complicated, how can we have a
relationship to it that is useful or enduring?

Each of the articles we have gathered for you addresses a shift that needs
to take place so we can take ownership of our science, technology and
communication at a more personal and local level. A shift from fast science
to slow science, from big data to deeper data, from ‘defining’ our world to
‘characterizing’ it, and a shift to an international relations based not on
the hegemony of a single nation or group of nations, but on regional
interdependence. We hope you find these essays encouraging. At Kosmos we
believe the more beautiful, equitable world we long for is within our reach
and we see the signs of transformation everywhere and at every level:
personal, local, regional and global – in our ways of thinking and acting,
within our social institutions, and in alignment with an emerging, living
and intentional universe.We admire the authors in this newsletter
greatly: Otto Scharmer, Craig Holdrege, Douglas Rushkoff, Amitav Acharya –
true visionary thinkers.

*Your voice is equally valuable! We want to remind you the deadline for
reader’s essays is in a few days – August 15. Please use the form at the
website to send your submisions
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=2c6fc66345&e=60482295ca>.*

And lastly, check out a special global concert event for the International
Day of Peace, September 21. We will have a full listing of events for this
day, which is sure to be historic, in our next newsletter.

Until then, we at Kosmos send you deepest peace and joy.
 ------------------------------

<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=cae8802084&e=60482295ca>

Subscribe to Kosmos Journal

Become a subscriber to Kosmos Journal today.

As a subscriber you will have access to the latest issue of Kosmos Journal.

Click here for more information
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=91bfa2ffdc&e=60482295ca>
.

 ------------------------------

<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=9dadeee0c3&e=60482295ca>

Donate to Kosmos

We depend greatly on the generosity of donations from our readers to
continue publishing this unique and timely Journal, website and bi-weekly
newsletter.

Click here for more information
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=a4043ec1a0&e=60482295ca>
.

   ------------------------------

<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=61b7b61cdb&e=60482295ca>
Learning to See Life: Developing the Goethean Approach to Science
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=8259e837ca&e=60482295ca>

In this Kosmos Journal article from one summer ago, Craig Holdrege
describes an approach to teaching science that relies on ‘characterizing’
rather than ‘defining’. This is a simple shift in thinking that can much
better prepare future scientists to adapt to changing demands on earth.

“You could say that all real knowing is ecological knowing—knowing how
something is part of a larger, dynamic context. If we can bring students
into this way of knowing, we are preparing them for a life in a world that
will not offer them pat solutions, but demand from them the ability to grow
and form new ideas in relation to new and unforeseen demands.” -Craig
Holdrege
 READ MORE →
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=1ed9d6abf6&e=60482295ca>
  ------------------------------

<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=c7b5c6f900&e=60482295ca>
Why We Need a Slow Science
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=6fdcb05783&e=60482295ca>

In the inaugural edition of The Technologist, Douglas Rushkoff offers a
brief essay about shifting our thinking away from ‘present shock’
interventions to preventions:

“…it’s an emphasis on obvious fixes to calamity, rather than long-term
approaches to prevention. So in medicine, for example, we have developed
some terrific chemotherapies for cancer, while refusing to grant serious
attention to the role of nutrition, herbs or, dare I even mention them,
chiropractic and homeopathy on a patient’s wellness. The real abhorrence of
such modalities may have less to do with unscientific foundations than with
their paucity of dramatic results. A patient population that is less likely
to contract cancer or diabetes may be a statistical victory, but it’s
hardly as dramatic as a cure.” – Douglas Rushkoff
 READ MORE →
<http://kosmosjournal.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a2e6f01f29f00e615c1467a04&id=b34df5d326&e=60482295ca>