[P2P-F] Fwd: [Networkedlabour] Fwd: (The Trans-Pacific Partnership) Urgent: It's happening now behind our back

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Apr 23 00:39:03 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: peter waterman <peterwaterman1936 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Subject: [Networkedlabour] Fwd: (The Trans-Pacific Partnership) Urgent:
It's happening now behind our back
To: networkedlabour at lists.contrast.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sid Shniad <shniad at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM
Subject: (The Trans-Pacific Partnership) Urgent: It's happening now behind
our back

From: Steve Anderson <contact at openmedia.org>
Date: Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Subject: Urgent: It's happening now behind our back

<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YVCXcZkCU7gvtAwI9X2bXZsqhQBLlsmu>

President Obama is holding secret meetings in Asia to ram through the TPP’s
Internet censorship plan, which would force ISPs to *monitor our Internet
use, censor content, and remove entire websites. **To fight back we need
your help to project an attention-grabbing message on key buildings in
Washington D.C. Tell decision-makers to stop the secretive TPP now so we
can deliver the message before it’s too
late.*<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=crJEWv3rYPpbGJCKTLlpspsqhQBLlsmu>

[image: Take action!]<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AQ%2BiSRiQPM%2Fzm9hWjVTv0psqhQBLlsmu>

*This is urgent. **An Internet censorship plan is being finalized in secret
meetings right now. We need all hands on deck at this crucial moment. Click
HERE to learn more and speak up.
*<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=7pfe2JxVv5ZkVD%2BnXePEoZsqhQBLlsmu>

*Here’s the situation:* Obama himself is in secretive meetings with key
political figures and lobbyists in Asia to lock the Trans-Pacific
Partnership’s Internet censorship plan into place.

We know from leaked documents that this secretive plan will censor your use
of the Internet and strip away your rights.1 If finalized, this plan
would *force
ISPs to act as “Internet Police” monitoring our Internet use, censoring
content, and removing whole websites.*2

The TPP is the greatest threat the Internet faces today. Sid, as one of our
strongest supporters, we’re relying on you to stand up and help us defend
the values of Internet openness, affordability, and accessibility we hold
dear. Powerful old media lobbyists are terrified of the transformative
potential of the Internet; that’s why they’re using the TPP to drag us
backward.

It will give media conglomerates centralized control over what you can
watch and share online.

*We urgently need your help to fight back. Add your voice right now and
we’ll project a Stop the Secrecy message on key buildings in Washington
D.C. to ensure Obama, the media, and everyone else knows this censorship
plan must be stopped.
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UCHwsU68my%2FJvEzVXuKoOPpGxDO5gAKu>*<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=n2rZPEbB29s8TYqSQHSbYJsqhQBLlsmu>

*This is huge:* covering 40% of the global economy, the TPP is being called
a legal “blueprint” for the rest of the world.[3] Once key leaders finalize
TPP Internet censorship plans today it will be used to globalize censorship
across the world. You will be affected and this may be our only chance to
stop it.
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FAS0DkW8Jbvn8%2BIRENLCs5sqhQBLlsmu>

*Our attention-grabbing message will shine a light on their secret plan and
will make clear to Washington lobbyists that the Internet community will
never accept the TPP’s secrecy or censorship. The more who speak out, the
larger our projection will become, and the more people we can reach. *

*This is a decisive moment: we need to act right now. Join with hundreds of
thousands of people all over the world to shine a light on the TPP’s
job-killing Internet censorship plan. Let’s send decision-makers and the
lobbyists pulling the strings a message they can’t ignore: "Stop the
secrecy now."
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JE88wrLQkVvvu4v75WIx4psqhQBLlsmu>*
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=61Hn7sUMN5HfkF1IF6QKZ5sqhQBLlsmu>

With every voice that is added to our call, a donor will contribute to *make
Stop The Secrecy projection in Washington bigger and brighter.*

We’ve stalled them before and we can kill this censorship plan if we act
together at this critical moment.

The bureaucrats and lobbyists think they can ram through this damaging
binding plan behind your back and without your consent. *Will you let them
get away with it, Sid?*
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=P1BHddzI3ZI0kiJb4HiPrJsqhQBLlsmu>

Thank you for being a part of history,

Steve, Josh, Eva, and David, on behalf of your OpenMedia.org team

*P.S., If the TPP censorship plan goes through, the Internet as we know it
will change forever. We’d be left with an Internet that’s far more
expensive, censored, and policed. We know we can stop this - but we need to
act right now. **Can we count on you to stand with us, Sid?*
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=z9q1A5pKsLaekLedwzMzY5sqhQBLlsmu>

*Footnotes*

[1] “Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP).” Source:
WikiLeaks<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=rXdF1FveW0vQ4WXW7D8JnpsqhQBLlsmu>.

[2] TPP Creates Legal Incentives For ISPs To Police The Internet. What Is
At Risk? Your Rights. Source: Electronic Frontier Foundation
<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=P5vhGY7iAA7T3hA41u08NpsqhQBLlsmu>

[3] U.S. “Bullying” TPP Negotiators Amid Failure to Agree. Source: Inter
Press Service News
Agency<http://qb.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1pXZyOvAcZ7TtxcKKMKT8fpGxDO5gAKu>.
*Note: The U.S. and the E.U. are already discussing a similar secretive
agreement called "Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)".
Once the TPP is finalized there will be pressure to harmonize and extend
its provisions to TTIP -- meaning the E.U. There are also reports of
several others countries being added to the TPP once it is finalized.

--

   1. *EBook, November 2012: Recovering Internationalism
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/recovering_internationalism/>.  [A
   compilation of papers from the new millenium. Now free in two download
   formats] <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/>
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/>*
   2.
*EBook (co-editor), February 2013: World Social Forum: Critical
   Explorations http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/world_social_forum/> *
   3. *Interface Journal Special (co-editor), November 2012: For the Global
   Emancipation of Labour <http://www.interfacejournal.net/current/>*
   4. *Blog: http://www.unionbook.org/profile/peterwaterman.
   <http://www.unionbook.org/profile/peterwaterman.> *
   5. *Interface Journal Special (Co-Editor) Social Movement
   Internationalisms. See Call for Papers <http://www.interfacejournal.net/>,
   (Deadline: May 1, 2014). *
   6.
*Needed: a Global Labour Charter Movement (2005-Now!)
   <http://interfacejournal.nuim.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Interface-1-2-pp255-262-Waterman.pdf>*
   7. *Under, Against, Beyond: Labour and Social Movements Confront a
   Globalised, Informatised Capitalism
   <http://www.into-ebooks.com/book/under-against-beyond/>(2011) Almost 1,000
   pages of Working Papers, free, from the 1980 <1980>'s-90's.*
   8. *Google Scholar Citation Index:*
    *http://scholar.google.com.pe/citations?user=e0e6Qa4AAAAJ
   <http://scholar.google.com.pe/citations?user=e0e6Qa4AAAAJ> *

   -

*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/