[P2P-F] Fwd: URI's , QR codes, Western Philosophy, and "Artifactualization"

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Wed Apr 2 03:20:44 CEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Subject: URI's , QR codes, Western Philosophy, and "Artifactualization"
To: "econowmix at googlegroups.com" <econowmix at googlegroups.com>, "
op-n-m at googlegroups.com" <op-n-m at googlegroups.com>

Excerpts :

http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/ppig/documents/Philosophy%20of%20the%20Web%20as%20artifactualization.pdf

*What the Web does to philosophy is what we call "artifactualization". A
process where *
*concepts become "embodied" in materiality* - with lasting consequences for
this discipline. What
happens when logical proper names take the form of URIs or when entities
become resources with
the mediation of the Web? The paradox is that while for the first time some
philosophical concepts
now exist in a concrete, material form, at the same time, this process
tends to lend them some
radically new characteristics, largely transforming them into something
else. Heidegger posited a
filiation between technology [Technik] and metaphysics (considered as the
essence of modern
technology). This takes a whole new sense now that technology realizes the
Western metaphysical
project by inscribing its categories directly into concrete matter.

https://www.academia.edu/1788972/The_Artifactualization_of_Reference_and_Substances_on_the_Web_Why_HTTP_URIs_Do_Not_Always_Refer_nor_Resources_Hold_by_Themselves

  URIs are especially interesting for philosophers. Likeproper names, a
concept central both to the philosophy oflanguage and metaphysics, they
seem to refer to an object. Ifthe architecture of the Web retains some of
their characteristics,then philosophers are no longer facing a  terra
incognita  butrather a familiar landscape. Unlike proper names,
however,URIs also give access to Web contents. As such, they betokenan
important change, from a symbolical dimension, whereproper names are
bestowed certain functions and used to solvephilosophical conundrums
regarding identity, to a technologicalone, to quote the late German media
theorist Friedrich Kittler, where they earn new functionalities and act as
the pillar of a world-wide information system. 2 This shift is what we call
artifactualization , 3  the becoming-artifact of philosophical concepts

--
*Please note an intrusion wiped out my inbox on February 8; I have no
record of previous communication, proposals, etc ..*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/