[P2P-F] Fwd: New Paper: Return to Eden? Promises of an Omnipotent Global Intelligence

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Sep 14 07:39:01 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Subject: Fwd: New Paper: Return to Eden? Promises of an Omnipotent Global
Intelligence
To: "econowmix at googlegroups.com" <econowmix at googlegroups.com>
Cc: Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net>, S H <seh999 at gmail.com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Francis Heylighen" <fheyligh at vub.ac.be>
Date: Sep 13, 2013 4:34 PM
Intelligence
To: "Global Brain Discussion" <gbrain at listserv.vub.ac.be>

**
Here's my latest paper on the Global Brain. Comments welcome!

*Return to Eden?*
*Promises and Perils on the Road to an*
*Omnipotent Global Intelligence*

Francis  Heylighen
*Global Brain Institute*
*Vrije Universiteit Brussel*

*Abstract*: The concept of Singularity envisages a technology-driven
explosion in intelligence. This paper argues that the resulting suprahuman
intelligence will not be centralized in a single AI system, but distributed
across all people and artifacts, as connected via the Internet. This "*global
brain*" will function to tackle all challenges confronting the "global
superorganism". Its capabilities will extend so far beyond our present
abilities that they are best conveyed as a pragmatic version of the
"divine" attributes:* omniscience* (knowing everything needed to solve our
problems),* omnipresence* (being available anywhere anytime),*
omnipotence*(being able to provide any product or service at
negligible cost) and
* omnibenevolence* (aiming at the greatest happiness for the greatest
number). By extrapolating present trends, technologies and evolutionary
mechanisms, the paper shows that these abilities are likely to be realized
within the next few decades. The resulting solution to all our individual
and societal problems can be seen as a return to the "Garden of Eden", the
idyllic state of abundance and peace that supposedly existed before
civilization. In this utopian society, individuals would be supported and
challenged by the global brain to maximally develop their abilities, and to
continuously create new knowledge. However, side effects of technological
innovation are likely to create serious disturbances on the road to this
utopia. The most important dangers are cascading failures facilitated by
hyperconnectivity, the spread of psychological parasites that make people
lose touch with reality, the loss of human abilities caused by an
unnatural, passive lifestyle, and a conservative backlash triggered by too
rapid changes. Because of the non-linearity of the system, the precise
impact of such disturbances cannot be predicted. However, a range of
precautionary measures, including a "global immune system", may pre-empt
the greatest risks, and thus secure our eventual return to Eden.

Full paper at:
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Papers/BrinkofSingularity.pdf

**

--

**

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group
Free University of Brussels
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/HEYL.html

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/