[P2P-F] Fwd: [knowledgelab] Reminder: Monday eve: Café event on Gender and the Politics of Technology

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Sun Sep 8 08:00:10 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gail Chester <gailchester at blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Subject: [knowledgelab] Reminder: Monday eve: Café event on Gender and the
Politics of Technology
To: knowledgelab at lists.aktivix.org

**
  You are invited to  the latest event in our series of cafe discussion
events on the politics of technology (see below for list of subsequent
events).  These events are preparing for a three-day gathering on the
politics of technology in May 2014.   NB There will be a discussion group
at 6pm at Fairly Square Bar and Cafe on basic issues in the politics of
technology which is open to all.

Please forward this info to appropriate lists, FB groups etc.  Apologies
for cross-posting.

Best wishes

Gail Chester
Luddites200: www.luddites200.org.uk

Breaking the Frame 3: Gender and the Politics of Technology

[image: megamachinetoplow]

In the home and at work, women and men have different relationships to
technology.  Women have traditionally been excluded from science and
engineering and are put in the role of users and operators of new
technology.  Do technologies like IVF and domestic machinery really benefit
women or entrench their existing social roles?  How do shifts in technology
affect the oppression of women?

When: 7pm September 9th 2013
Where: Fairly Square Bar & Cafe, 51 Red Lion St London WC1R 4PF

Introductions from:

   - Cynthia Cockburn <http://www.cynthiacockburn.org/>, feminist activist
   and author of Machinery of Dominance, Gender and Technology in the Making,
   and Brothers: Male Dominance and Technological Change
   - David King Human Genetics Aler <http://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/>t
   - Connie Hunter Women's Environmental Network <http://www.wen.org.uk/>

 For the full list of forthcoming events, see below or visit the Breaking
the Frame blog <http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/?page_id=12>.  For more
information contact luddites200 at yahoo.co.uk.

The Breaking the Frame series: discussions on the politics of technology

Technology dominates our world, but many people think ‘its just a neutral
tool’ or that technology equals progress. Although it does, of course,
bring benefits, technology is largely designed and controlled by corporate,
military and patriarchal elites to serve their interests and exert their
power.  To prepare for a gathering next May, we are organising a series of
monthly events to look at the technology politics of food, energy, work,
war, the economy, health etc. Gender issues are part of our analysis from
the beginning and are included in all of our meetings.  There will be
speakers from campaigning groups and lots of time for discussion.

   July 8th Technology out of control? Drones, killer robots and the arms
trade August 12th Nuclear Power: Climate Chiller or Silent Killer? September
9th Gender and the politics of technology October 14th Economic crisis and
austerity: “It’s the technology, stupid” November 11th Food, GM and
synthetic biology December 9th Extreme Energy (fracking, tar sands etc),
geoengineering, and climate change January 13th The politics of alternative
technology and workers’ plans February 10th Digital technology,
surveillance and Big Data March 10th Toxics and nanotechnology April
14th ‘Mental
health’, big pharma and the new eugenics

 When: 7pm 2nd Monday of the month
Where: Fairly Square Bar and Cafe, 51 Red Lion St London WC1R 4PF

 For more information visit the Breaking the Frame
blog<http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/>,
Facebook: Breaking the Frame or contact luddites200 at yahoo.co.uk.