[P2P-F] Fwd: [Commoning] Call for Papers ; Degrowth Conference Sept 2-6, 2014 Leipzig

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Nov 24 02:28:12 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Silke Helfrich <silke.helfrich at gmx.de>
Date: Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Subject: [Commoning] Call for Papers ; Degrowth Conference Sept 2-6, 2014
Leipzig
To: commoning <commoning at lists.wissensallmende.de>
Cc: Daniel Constein <d.constein at googlemail.com>

Dear all,
as promissed here the Call for Papers
http://leipzig.degrowth.org/en/call-for-papers/

pdf:
http://leipzig.degrowth.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/
Degrowth-2014-Call-for-Papers.pdf

You can easily see the conceptual openess of the hosts, I am sure it will
be a fruitful dialogue between different approaches to an alternative
paradigm. No idea, why they've put the name of an organization or a set of
licences (CC) into the title of one of the three sections, but this is a
minor issue. I see fit for many contributions from the commons  movement.

Very best
Silke

Fourth International Conference on Degrowth for Ecological Sustainability
and Social Equity
2nd-6th September 2014, Leipzig
Bridging movements and research for the great transformation.

The International Degrowth Conference has reached its fourth venue: since
Paris 2008 the debate on how to turn away from a growth-oriented economy
towards a more sustainable society has drawn world-wide attention. The
fourth international conference will take place in a country that is
considered as the European engine of economic growth. Different traditions
of growth critique, such as the concept of a post-growth society stemming
from the German-speaking community and the French and Southern European
degrowth debate, are invited to a fruitful dialogue. The conference seeks
to bring practitioners, activists and scientists together and encompasses
various formats for presentations, interaction, workshops, and exchange.
This Call for Papers refers to the scientific track only, which aims at
reflecting, substantiating, and developing further the scholarly work on
degrowth.

> Submit your paper
Thematic threads and topics
Thematic threads

The conference addresses three main thematic threads. For the scientific
track, contributions covering the following topics are invited:

+ Organizing society

Emancipatory politics, participation, institutions

    > Multiple crises
    > Capitalism and economic growth
    > Societal organization and coordination beyond growth
    > Conditions for degrowth
    > Democracy beyond growth
    > Communal and regional organization
    > Infrastructure and public services
    > Transforming education
    > Public debt and taxation
    > Distribution and basic income
    > (Re)distribution, fairness and inclusion
    > Social movements, self-organized projects, new wave of protest
    > …

+ Building a social and ecological economy

(Re-)productivity, commons, society-nature relations

    > (Eco)feminism and degrowth
    > Productivity and (re)productivity beyond growth
    > Planetary boundaries and environmental justice
    > Global South, BRIC and degrowth
    > Social metabolism and material flows
    > International trade and capital flows
    > Monetary and financial systems
    > Energy, housing and mobility
    > Scenarios and models of a post-growth economy
    > Agriculture and rural-urban relations
    > (De)commodification of nature
    > Work, labour, and socially meaningful activities beyond growth
    > Commons, solidarity, and gift economy
    > Forms and organization of businesses
    > …

+ Living conviviality

Buen vivir, creative commons, knowledge & technology

    > Buen vivir and post-development
    > Cultural drivers of growth
    > (De)urbanization and (de)alienation
    > Convivial and experimental learning
    > Creative commons and open source
    > Spirituality, reconnection and relationality
    > Knowledge generation, research & development, technology
    > Convivial technologies
    > Alternative welfare models: happiness, needs, and the good life
    > Cultural, anthropological, and ethical perspectives on degrowth
    > …

Narrative Steps

The conference unfolds along three narrative steps, which offer a common
perspective and a general framework respectively to each full day:

> Wednesday: Facing the current crisis: critique & resistance.
> Thursday: Building alliances.
> Friday: Visions and strategies for transformation.

Scientific papers and discussions are required to build on the state of
affair and to develop further the current research on degrowth, post-growth
and sustainability by addressing open challenges, implementing new research
agendas and interlinking diversified approaches in a promising way.
Conference structure

The scientific track will comprise the following formats:

> Semi-plenaries with eminent speakers and a scientific perspective on
degrowth & post-growth
> Core and short paper sessions with the presentation of individual
contributions
> Core sessions featuring longer presentations and a prepared comment
> Poster presentations in the central hall of the conference venue
> Special sessions featuring presentations with a specific thematic focus
or comprising further activities such as discussion workshops, reading
sessions or the planning of a research network; prepared and submitted by
an external session organizer
Submission procedure

Proposals for the presentation of individual papers and posters as well as
for the organisation of special sessions are welcome. Proposals should
address one (or more) of the conference topics under the lens of one (or
more) narrative steps.

> Core sessions require the submission of a full paper (approx. 3000-8000
words) and a short abstract (max. 150 words)
> Short paper and poster sessions require the submission of a long abstract
(max. 1200 words) and a short one (max. 150 words).
> Special sessions with paper presentations can be proposed by submitting
an abstract (max. 800 words) with the topic of the session and a list of
speakers and presentation titles. Upon acceptance of the session speakers
on the speaker list will be required to submit long and short abstracts to
undergo the review process.
> Special sessions comprising other formats require an abstract (max. 800
words) with information on structure, topic and objective of the session.

Scientists, practitioners, artists and activists are also invited to submit
a short and generally comprehensible stirring paper. Your stirring paper,
if accepted, will serve as an introductory paper for expert working groups
of a so-called Group Assembly Process. If you want to participate in this
process, please submit a stirring paper of 1000 to 1500 words by January
31, 2014.
Deadlines

Proposals for special sessions have to be submitted until December 31st
2013, papers and abstracts until January 31st 2014. The review process will
be concluded by the end of May.

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/