[P2P-F] re "Researching p2p practices in a fragmented state."

Poor Richard poor.ricardo at gmail.com
Sun May 19 13:24:30 CEST 2013

I can see applications of this concept for "Researching p2p practices in a
fragmented state."
Michel Bauwens posted this link on facebook:
https://sites.google.com/site/multitude2008/Home/politics/
towards-leaderless-social-mass-movements/rethinking-social-movements#TOC
-Here-s-one-solution

<https://sites.google.com/site/multitude2008/Home/politics/towards-leaderless-social-mass-movements/rethinking-social-movements#TOC-Here-s-one-solution>Excerpt
from Multitude site (Creative Commons Attribution):

"First proposed by Tiberius
Brastaviceanu<http://www.google.com/profiles/tiberius.brastaviceanu>
> .
> ------------------------------
> "Build a *smart widget* to play the role of *banner* for the social
> movement. Nowadays, every individual or small organization that
> associates with a movement has a presence on the Internet. In the past,
> members and organizations part of a movement wore a banner to identify
> themselves and to communicate to others that they belong to that particular
> movement. In our case this banner becomes a *smart banner*, a widget,
> which marks individuals and organizations in the virtual space, which is
> "wore"* *on people's blogs, webpages, Facebook accounts, etc.
>
> *"An open data acquisition, analysis, and display system *
> All *widgets are connected to a central system*. Every time they are
> viewed online they send data to the central system. Every widget/banner has
> it's own serial number, is unique. The central system is in fact *an open
> system*. It gathers data from all banners/widgets in circulation,
> processes it, and publicly displays information about the entire social
> movement in real time. The way the information is analyzed and displayed is
> open, and can be modified/improved by an open community.
>
> *"Spreading mechanism*
> Anyone can grab a banner/widget from any other widget out there, just by
> clicking on a link which brings you to a place where the code is provided.
> It is not necessary to associate information about the owner of a widget,
> but the location of the widget (the site or blog where it is installed)
> will be known. Thus, the spread of banner/widgets becomes viral (spreads
> from member to member), and adepts of the movement become ambassadors of
> the movement with full rights. BUT, if someone in the community finds out
> that some owner of a widget is acting against the movement his *widget/banner
> can be terminated* from the central system through an open
> and democratic decision making process. Reputation parameters can also be
> added.
>
> [end of excerpt]

This is genius. The idea of smart, live banner-widgets (I would suggest
adding live badges also) is totally awesome! I love this method for
automatically creating a central database of resources (people, web sites,
etc.). This is exactly the kind of thing we need to help overcome the
fragmentation of effort and visibility across a broad spectrum of social
movements.