[P2P-F] Fwd: The Quantity Theory of Money is the Flat Earth Theory of Economics.

Susana Martín Belmonte susana.martin.belmonte at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 14:11:11 CEST 2013

Hello friends,

I think this is a very imaginative explanation of the Quantity Theory.
Thanks for sending it. While I agree with this explanation, I have to add
that the Quantity Theory can be reformulated in a a way in which the
velocity is constant. You can find it in Richard Werner's article in the
International Review of Financial Analysis (2012) "Towards a new research
programme on Banking and the Economy".

Basically, this author has found empirical evidence that credit devoted to
GDP-transactions (productive economy) is linked to nominal GDP. As money is
created by bank loans, it is possible to reformulate money (M) as
Credit-money, and when this credit is devoted to the purchase of goods and
services (and not to financial transactions, like assets or equity) there
is a strong correlation with nominal GDP (PQ in the Quantity Theory). So
velocity (V) is quite constant for this new money aggregate: credit-money
devoted to GDP-transactions.

I'm using this in a paper I'm presenting at the Political Economy
conference in The Hague in July.
I hope you find it useful too.

Susana