[P2P-F] Fwd: New From Pluto Press - Nature for Sale: The Commons versus Commodities

James Gien Varney-Wong gien at ingienous.com
Fri Jul 19 21:18:32 CEST 2013

Hi Orsan,

I think you hit the nail on the head

The answer lies in the heart of the question
and the solution lies in the heart of the problem

The solution to our perfect storm of crisis threatening to collapse human
civlization
is to rouse awake the sleeping giant of the masses

Is the cup half empty
or half full?

Most people, as Patrick and Anna have identified
feel the cup is half full
feel disempowered because, after all, I am only one person

Yes, I add to the problem of ecocide every day by my mere existence
because the system I exist within
is full of producers who pollute to make the goods and services I consume
in order to live
and in using those goods and services
 I too micro-pollute in order to live each day

Narratives are powerful
and this cup half-empty one
becomes its own self-fulfilling prophecy

For in seeing the world this way
I labdicate responsibility, limit my actions
and resign to continuing on this personal course which contributes to
mutual self destruction

It's only when our awareness stirs
due to our own transcendence of this narrative
or through an outside agent assisting us
that we see through the entire game

For when we awaken to the fact
that billions of people telling themselves the same story
is what, in fact creates the story
for our entire global community

Because billions of people play this cup half-empty narrative
over and over in their head and manifest in their actions (or lack thereof)
we mutually co-create the world we so despise
and so desperately want to change

So the key to awakening
is to recognize that we are sleeping

I have just integrated the ideas about the commons
in the introduction on one of my webpages on the Arctic Tipping Point:

http://ingienous.com/?page_id=8559

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Örsan <orsan1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is exactly the point that brings p2p and commons together:
> imagining billions of us would do a little or as much as we could to
> produce and/or protect the commons, the results would be giant like
> wikipedia or similar experiences. can be good to think of various levels
> and translevel implications in terms of solving porblems of governance and
> contuniation.
>
> On 19 jul. 2013, at 19:24, Patrick Anderson <agnucius at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the tragedy of the commons is also
> > partly caused by a feeling of helplessness
> > combined with the (partially true) belief
> > that things are already so bad and the
> > amount we each add, individually, is so
> > small, that it hardly matters whether each
> > of us adds to the problem or not and so
> > we choose the short-term benefits over
> > the long-term benefits because it seems
> > (it feels as though) no matter what we do,
> > the end result will be the same.

We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails
*Birtha Calloway*

Web: www.ingienous.com
Email: gien at ingienous.com
Phone: +27 71 642 5521 (SA)