[P2P-F] bottom-up broadband

Jaume Barcelo jaume.barcelo at upf.edu
Tue Jul 2 09:24:36 CEST 2013

Hi Patrick,
(I include the bottom-up broadband mailing list in copy)

> 1. How to share property properly.
Well, so far we have models in which every participant owns her own
hardware. Participants collaborate in buying equipment that is
perceived to be beneficial to the community. This is somehow "commons"
property. Some City Halls also contribute, in this case I guess is
public property.

> 2. How best to compensate workers.
Workers work because they like the project and sometimes because they
can make a living. There are not that many workers so far. Mostly
small companies (1 to 3 people).

> 3. What is the meaning and purpose of profit.
Not much profit. But that's not the goal anyway.

> 4. What can solve the Tyranny of the Majority
Common sense, mostly. People that don't feel included can quit the
initiative anytime. But the larger the number of people, the strongest
the project, so there is an incentive to be inclusive.

Thanks for the questions. We will try to find more answers.

Cheers,
Jaume