[P2P-F] It’s the Political Economy, Stupid: The Global Financial Crisis in Art and Theory

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Jan 24 07:34:41 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oliver Ressler <oliver at ressler.at>
Date: Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM
Subject: [Newsletter] NEW FROM PLUTO PRESS: It’s the Political Economy,
Stupid: The Global Financial Crisis in Art and Theory
To: newsletter at ressler.at

**
It’s the Political Economy, Stupid
 The Global Financial Crisis in Art and Theory
Edited by Gregory Sholette and Oliver Ressler

Hardback | 9780745333694 | £19.99 / $30
PDF eBook | 9781849648677 | £60 / $90
EPUB | 9781849648684 | £19.99 / $30
Kindle | 9781849648691 | £19.99 / $30

 To buy the book at a special discount price visit:
http://www.plutobooks.com/display.asp?K=9780745333694

Praise for the IT'S THE POLITICAL ECONOMY, STUPID exhibition:

'Confrontational, intellectual, and occasionally amusing group show, which
squarely aligns itself with the Occupy movement.' – VILLAGE VOICE

'In the wake of the capitalist crisis, very few cultural institutions have
dared to address the horrors of greed that plague us in such a direct and
haunting way.' – HYPERALLERGIC

IT'S THE POLITICAL ECONOMY, STUPID brings together internationally
acclaimed artists and thinkers, including Slavoj Žižek, David Graeber,
Judith Butler and Brian Holmes, to focus on the current economic crisis in
a sustained and critical manner.

Following a unique format, images and text are integrated in a visually
stunning bespoke production by activist designer Noel Douglas. What emerges
is a powerful critique of the current capitalist crisis through an
analytical and theoretical response and an aesthetic-cultural rejoinder. By
combining artistic responses with the analysis of leading radical
theorists, the book expands the boundaries of critique beyond the usual
discourse.

IT'S THE POLITICAL ECONOMY, STUPID argues that it is time to push back
against the dictates of the capitalist logic and, by use of both
theoretical and artistic means, launch a rescue of the very notion of the
social.

GREGORY SHOLETTE is an artist, activist and author based in New York. He
co-founded two artists’ collectives: 'Political Art Documentation and
Distribution' (1980-88) and 'REPOhistory' (1989-2000). He is the author of
'Dark Matter: Art and Politics in the Age of Enterprise Culture' (Pluto,
2010) and co-editor of 'Collectivism after Modernism: The Art of Social
Imagination after 1945' (2007) and 'The Interventionists: Users’ Manual for
the Creative Disruption of Everyday Life' (2004).
OLIVER RESSLER is an artist and filmmaker based in Vienna. His work has
been exhibited across the world including at the Berkeley Art Museum, USA;
Platform Garanti Contemporary Art Center, Istanbul and the Alexandria
Contemporary Arts Forum, Egypt. He is the editor of 'Alternative Economics,
Alternative Societies' (2007).

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Foreword by Pia Hovi-Assad, Pori Art Museum, Finland

1. 'Unspeaking the Grammar of Finance' – Gregory Sholette & Oliver Ressler

2. 'It’s The Political Economy, Stupid!' – Slavoj Žižek

> Liz Park comments on art from the exhibition It’s The Political Economy,
Stupid

3. 'The Political Economization of Art' – John Roberts

4. 'Derivative Days: Notes on Art, Finance and the Un-Productive Forces' –
Melanie Gilligan

5. 'Occupational Realism' – Julia Bryan Wilson

> Angela Dimitrakaki & Kirsten Lloyd comment on art from It’s The Political
Economy, Stupid

6. 'Occupy Wall Street’s Anarchist Roots' – David Graeber

7. 'Bodies in Alliance and the Politics of the Street' – Judith Butler

> Thom Donovan comments on art from It’s The Political Economy, Stupid

8. 'Sick Sad Life: On the Artistic Reproduction of Capital' – Kerstin
Stakemeier

9. 'Art after Capitalism: a final word' – Brian Holmes

Biographies

INSPECTION COPIES

To request an inspection copy please send the following details to
chrisb at plutobooks.com:

- the course name
- the level of the course (level one, two, three or post-graduate)
- the start date of the course
- expected number of students on the course
- name of local (or university) bookshop
- full university address (this is where the book will be sent)

We need all these details to be able to be able to process a request.
Inspection copies are provided with an invoice that is cancelled if the
book is adopted for a course, or returned in a resalable condition.

You can also request inspection copies using our online form at
www.plutobooks.com/lecturers.asp.

EBOOKS

Many Pluto books are available electronically. Libraries can subscribe to
the Pluto eBook list via The Academic Library (www.theacademiclibrary.com).
Individual titles can be ordered from many vendors, including Dawson (
www.dawsonera.com) in the UK and Ingram (www.myilibrary.com) in the UK, US
and worldwide.

REVIEW COPIES

If you would like to request a copy of a book to review for a journal or
other publication, please email our publicity manger Jon Wheatley at
jonw at plutobooks.com, providing your contact details and the name of the
publication you intend to review the book for.

ORDERS

To place an order, visit our website at www.plutobooks.com.