[P2P-F] Fwd: Ancient Athens didn't have politicians. Is there a lesson for us?

Karl Robillard krobillard at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 00:19:28 CET 2013

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 04:44:37 PM M. Fioretti wrote:
> I really think that the first thing that made the "Athenian model"
> possible in the first place was that their world was much simpler and
> smaller.

That's true that they lived in a less complex environment, but we have much
better techniques and tools to handle complexity here in 2013.  These tools
include the scientific method and, as Apostolis points out, the language of
mathematics.  Using iterative refinement and re-factoring of commonly held
knowledge (i.e. science) to help make decisions actually eliminates some forms
of complexity.  Currently, much of our time is spent developing ad hoc
solutions to work around problems in our political economy, and in our
ignorance even compounding them, rather than doing mutually productive work.

-Karl