[P2P-F] Fwd: evolution of cognition : metaphor, metalingual definition, algorithm, and control

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sun Jan 6 06:53:24 CET 2013

Dear friends,

after a year's absense, I 'm rejoining, and I'm sure traffic will go up <g>

it would be great to have a briefing on how the list evolved while I was
not participating?

From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Subject: evolution of cognition : metaphor, metalingual definition,
algorithm, and control
To: econowmix at googlegroups.com, global-survival at googlegroups.com

http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/CogEvol.shtml  ( found via metacogs on fb ) The
Evolution of Cognition

*William L. Benzon and David G. Hays*

------------------------------

*Abstract:* With cultural evolution new processes of thought appear.
Abstraction is universal, but rationalization first appeared in ancient
Greece, theorization in Renaissance Italy, and model building in
twentieth-century Europe. These processes employ the methods of metaphor,
metalingual definition, algorithm, and control, respectively. The
intellectual and practical achievements of populations guided by the
several processes and exploiting the different mechanisms differ so greatly
as to warrant separation into cultural ranks. The fourth rank is not
completely formed, while regions of the world and parts of every population
continue to operate by the processes of earlier ranks.

*
1 Evolution in Biology and
Culture<http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/CogEvol.shtml#Biology%20and%20Culture>
*
*2 Ontology <http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/CogEvol.shtml#Ontology>,
Abstraction, and Behavioral Mode*
*2.1 Ontology*
*2.2 Abstraction and Metaphor*
*2.3 Abstraction and Rationalization*
*2.4 Neural Implementation*
*3 Cognitive Rank<http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/CogEvol.shtml#Cognitive%20Rank>
*
*3.1 Rank 1: What's In a Name?*
*3.2 Rank 2: The Letter of the Law*
*3.3 Rank 3: Subject and Object*
*3.4 Rank 4: Modern, Post-Modern, and All that Jazz*
*3.5 Cognitive Rank and Cultural Diversity*
*4 In Medias Res : The Current
Flux<http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/CogEvol.shtml#Current%20Flux>
*
*4.1 The Thinking Machine or Electronic Brain*
*4.2 The Software Problem*
*4.3 The child is father to the man*
*References <http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/CogEvol.shtml#References>*

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/