[P2P-F] Functional Stupidity

Kevin Carson free.market.anticapitalist at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:55:00 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Dante-Gabryell Monson
<dante.monson at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this paper we question the one-sided thesis that contemporary
> organizations rely on the mobilization of cognitive capacities. We suggest
> that severe restrictions on these capacities in the form of what we call
> functional stupidity are an equally important if under-recognized part of
> organizational life. Functional stupidity refers to an absence of
> reflexivity, a refusal to use intellectual capacities in other than myopic
> ways, and avoidance of justifications. We argue that functional stupidity is
> prevalent in contexts dominated by economy in persuasion which emphasizes
> image and symbolic manipulation. This gives rise to forms of stupidity
> management that repress or marginalize doubt and block communicative action.
> In turn, this structures individuals' internal conversations in ways that
> emphasize positive and coherent narratives and marginalize more negative or
> ambiguous ones. This can have productive outcomes such as providing a degree
> of certainty for individuals and
> organizations. But it can have corrosive consequences such as creating a
> sense of dissonance among individuals and the organization as a whole. The
> positive consequences can give rise to self-reinforcing stupidity. The
> negative consequences can spark dialogue, which may undermine functional
> stupidity.
>

> Subject: Fwd: La stupidité fonctionnelle - Finance : "fais d'abord,
> réfléchis après" ?

Wonderful! You might also find these relevant:
http://c4ss.org/content/3649
http://c4ss.org/content/10803
http://c4ss.org/content/13841

--
Kevin Carson
Karl Hess Chair in Social Theory, Research Associate

"You have no authority that we are bound to respect" -- John Perry Barlow
"We are legion. We never forgive. We never forget. Expect us" -- Anonymous

Homebrew Industrial Revolution:  A Low-Overhead Manifesto
http://homebrewindustrialrevolution.wordpress.com
Desktop Regulatory State http://desktopregulatorystate.wordpress.com