[P2P-F] Functional Stupidity

Dante-Gabryell Monson dante.monson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:43:33 CET 2013

+ french article further below
note : Orange Meme Information System ?
Can be replaced by more optimal Turquoise Meme Information Systems ? ( such
as Anoptic <http://p2pfoundation.net/Anoptism> information Systems )

http://www.spiraldynamics-integral.nl/uploads/images/headers/Value_systems.jpg

(cf.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2012.01072.x/abstract)
:

In this paper we question the one-sided thesis that contemporary
organizations rely on the mobilization of cognitive capacities. We suggest
that severe restrictions on these capacities in the form of what we call
functional stupidity are an equally important if under-recognized part of
organizational life. Functional stupidity refers to an absence of
reflexivity, a refusal to use intellectual capacities in other than myopic
ways, and avoidance of justifications. We argue that functional stupidity
is prevalent in contexts dominated by economy in persuasion which
emphasizes image and symbolic manipulation. This gives rise to forms of
stupidity management that repress or marginalize doubt and block
communicative action. In turn, this structures individuals' internal
conversations in ways that emphasize positive and coherent narratives and
marginalize more negative or ambiguous ones. This can have productive
outcomes such as providing a degree of certainty for individuals and
organizations. But it can have corrosive consequences such as creating a
sense of dissonance among individuals and the organization as a whole. The
positive consequences can give rise to self-reinforcing stupidity. The
negative consequences can spark dialogue, which may undermine functional
stupidity.