[P2P-F] The Economics of Monasticism by Nathan Smith

Kevin F kev.flanagan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 08:03:06 CET 2013

Hi Anna,

Just to clarify when I refer to monastic settlements I mean to in the
more general sense including settlements established by women.
Personally I have no doubt that women and convents also played a
significant role and I would love more details on this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cistercian_nuns

It is certain that many orders sought to establish themselves in
secluded places away from towns and cities in an effort to distance
themselves from 'the world'.
However it seems that the organisational structures lent themselves to
economic efficiencies and made these monasteries highly productive. In
turn these became attractive and safe places for regular folk to
locate communities.

There are different kinds of intellectual knowledge. After the fall of
the Roman Empire monasteries preserved and reproduced ancient greek
and roman philosophical texts. The practical value of these texts to
lay communities is debatable however the author of the paper also
gives examples of invention and innovation. He refers to the medieval
Cistercians use of water mills for processing grain. His source is a
book called the Medieval Machine by Jean Gimpel. A brief look through
the book gives other examples relating to agriculture and metal work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Gimpel
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84853370/Jean-Gimpel-The-Medieval-Machine-the-Industrial-Revolution-of-the-Middle-Ages

I also want to make it clear that while I was raised Catholic, I no
longer identify myself as such. Being Irish I am all too familiar with
the hypocrisy and the abuses of the Church and I have no special love
for it.

Regards

Kevin

On 1 February 2013 11:59, Michel Bauwens <michel at p2pfoundation.net> wrote:

> Thanks Kevin for these illuminating comments.
>
> - celibacy must also be seen in the context of their times, i.e. where
> unbridled sexuality with limited birth control technologies caused many
> additional social problems (child killing, child abandonment, child abuse,
> see the Institute for Psychohistory for their history of child abuse); the
> majority of monks were surplus males from both feudal and popular
> environments who could not benefit from inheritance mechanims, as well as a
> huge number of abandoned children which were routinely deposited at monastic
> doors (the famous 'tourniquet' were especially designed for that); with
> their mutualizing of knowledge and resources, they were essentially the
> intellectual class in their societies, next to the working farmers and
> warrior nobility, and especially in christian lands, they were the
> depositors and progenitors of technical knowledge and advancement
>
> in premodern worldviews, spiritual work was not parasitic on the contrary,
> it was seen as the pinnacle of civilization, and the population felt they
> had a huge debt to the monks and the Church for these intercessionary
> services; these apart from the fact that churches and monasteries were the
> very centers of social life, for festivals, medical care, food reserves, and
> the like; in times of routine feudal abuse, monastic lands were also the
> refuge for widows and orphans
>
> by the way, before the 11th cy, priests were married, and churches were
> often private property, while monasteries were generally run by the family
> members of the nobility on which lands they were settled  (it was called the
> 'adelskirche' by historians)
>
> You could argue that intentional communities are the pluri-gender
> descendants of the monastic communities and they are doing quite well in our
> times; given the huge number of empty church buildings, there is a huge
> opportunity to create a new wave of spiritual co-working centers, such as
> the Borderlands Augustine ctr in Melbourne, The Monastery in Manchester, or
> the church building taken over by the p2p-oriented communautique in
> Montreal,
>
> Michel
>

> XXX
>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:54:12 +0700
> From: Kevin F <kev.flanagan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [P2P-F] The Economics of Monasticism by Nathan Smith
>

> Hi Anna,
>
> Monastics also provided services to the communities of which they are
> a part. In the past the monasteries were great repositories of
> knowledge. They were not limited to scriptural works alone. In the pre
> print era scribes also produced copies of philosophical, technical and
> historical works. They provided opportunities for people to educate
> themselves and in turn those same people became stewards of that
> knowledge which was of general benefit to communities that grew up
> around the monasteries.
> [...]

GPG KEY
If this email is not signed or encrypted its because it is sent via
the browser. For private communications I encourage friends to use
GPG. If you are interested in learning more about GPG try the Enigmail
plugin with the Thuderbird email client. A quick search for
'kev.flanagan at gmail.com' on public keyservers should find my most up
to date key.

For example try -
http://sks.spodhuis.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=kev.flanagan%40gmail.com