[P2P-F] Fwd: [commoning] The Co-operative University

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Thu Dec 26 15:42:33 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Subject: Re: [commoning] [P2P-F] The Co-operative University
To: "commoning at listen.jpberlin.de" <commoning at listen.jpberlin.de>

while there may be talk regarding politics,

this thread ( and others ) reminds me of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle#Iron_Law_of_Bureaucracy

 "Pournelle's Iron Law of
Bureaucracy"<http://www.jerrypournelle.com/archives2/archives2mail/mail408.html#Iron>
:
In any bureaucracy, the people devoted to the benefit of the bureaucracy
itself always get in control and those dedicated to the goals the
bureaucracy is supposed to accomplish have less and less influence, and
sometimes are eliminated entirely.

He has restated <http://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/iron.html> it
as:
...in any bureaucratic organization there will be two kinds of people:
those who work to further the actual goals of the organization, and those
who work for the organization itself. Examples in education would be
teachers who work and sacrifice to teach children, vs. union
representatives who work to protect any teacher including the most
incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the second type of
person will always gain control of the organization, and will always write
the rules under which the organization functions.

This can be compared to the Iron law of
oligarchy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy>.
His blog, "The View from Chaos Manor", often references apparent examples
of the law.

JPBerlin - Politischer Provider
commoning at listen.jpberlin.de

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/