[P2P-F] Fwd: "We ignore the cultural meaning of money at our peril"

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Sat Dec 21 06:10:42 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dante-Gabryell Monson <dante.monson at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: "We ignore the cultural meaning of money at our peril"

from the same article , about data love
https://medium.com/quinn-norton/f3db7e13e6e3

The things that are of infinite value and lie beyond scarcity, cannot be
bought with money. They are love of mothers, the beauty of the sky, the
affections of pets, furtive glances, touch, epiphanies, and singing songs.
They are the endless service and sharing of human to human that makes life
bearable.

The Telecomix image for datalove: less-than-three, or ❤

On the internet, some activists have named the sharing of the networked
non-scarce infinites: they call it datalove. Datalove is there when you
create Open Source and Free Software, it’s there when you use it, it’s
there when you share knowledge, especially knowledge that helps people use
the internet better and more safely. More controversially, it’s there when
you pirate movies, share books, and preserve that which others would like
forgotten. These things lie beyond any form of money.
Dogecoin as a combination of a mathematically generated, cryptographically
protected form of money and the meme of the moment, Doge. This, along with
Comic Sans, gives it the internet density of a large star. Amaze.

Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin are some of the things collectively referred to
as the cryptocurrencies. By far, the most important is Bitcoin, which has
been mined the traded around the world for around five years. These
currencies are the internet trying to invent a native form of money. Like
everything the internet does, internet money is over-technical,
over-engineered, probably not very well thought out, hilarious, profoundly
male dominated, and eventually compared to Hitler. I love the internet,
it's my home every bit as much as any geography is, but does it make sense
for the internet to invent a money? What, exactly, is the internet's
poverty? What is cyptocurrency better at sharing than the internet is?

#82 on the (En)Rich list: http://enrichlist.org/the-complete-list/