[P2P-F] [commoning] The Co-operative University

anna at shsh.co.uk anna at shsh.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 14:02:43 CET 2013

John writes: There is nothing inherently wrong in paying someone for  a service they provide to you.

There are several reasons why you might think of paying someone for a service they provide to you.
1. You might feel you had more control over the terms of the service if you pay them, as in the example John gave.
2. It might make people more willing to perform a service which they might feel is unpleasant or otherwise unattractive, as in many mundane and boring jobs which are performed through 'slave  labour', or 'wage slavery'. (This is akin in my view to enticing concentration camp inmates to the gas chambers by giving them a soap and towel)
3. It may be a cultural substitute for gratitude, as when you tip a porter.
4. Paying someone also appeals to our sense of fairness, that people should be rewarded for their efforts. Indeed under capitalism, only as a result of their efforts, 'to each  according to how hard s/he works'.

These power relationships do not become equalised through the exchange of money. In fact the reverse. They are defined through money. Paying someone for a service is not wrong in itself, but it reveals a power/class relationship which distorts a 'real' relationship between people.

These values have been absorbed by us without consciously questioning them, they are inherent in our daily relationships. They need to be questioned because they are leading to ever increasing disparities between the haves and the havenots. They suppress the real caring that exists when the human family and it's place in the biosphere is recognised and acknowledged.

Two writers on this subject:
Charles Eisenstein - Sacred Economics, http://charleseisenstein.net/books/sacred-economics/

Jeremy Rifkin - Third Industrial Revolution,  http://thethirdindustrialrevolution.com

Anna