[P2P-F] Fwd: [opennetcoalition] Surveillance or Privacy… ? Support La Quadrature du Net!

Michel Bauwens michel at p2pfoundation.net
Mon Dec 2 21:30:20 CET 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: La Quadrature du Net <jz at laquadrature.net>
Date: Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Subject: [opennetcoalition] Surveillance or Privacy… ? Support La
Quadrature du Net!
To: opennetcoalition at laquadrature.net

Themes: SUPPORT LA QUADRATURE DU NET!

Permanent link:
https://www.laquadrature.net/en/surveillance-or-privacy-support-la-quadrature-du-net

Surveillance or Privacy… ? Support La Quadrature du Net!

*** Paris, 30 November 2013 — Today we find ourselves at a crossroads:
surveillance or privacy? Net neutrality or discrimination of our
communications? “Copywrong” threatening the public or copyright reform to
sanctuarize our cultural practices? These decisions will have a radical
impact on our relationship with technology and power and affect society as
a whole. We all know this. And we also know that without a concerted effort
by citizens, the political and economic powers will take the line that will
lead us to the worst case scenario. ***

The outline of surveillance states based on spying on citizens and their
behaviours is begin drawn more precisely by the day. Social and cultural
movements experience an increasing online repression. Big U.S. American
Internet and entertainment companies have become police auxiliaries by
engaging everywhere in this surveillance. We are faced with a critical
choices for the future of our society. The future depends on each one of
us, but the defence and the reconstruction of a free and open Internet for
all will only be feasible if organisations, independent of private and
governmental pressure, such as La Quadrature du Net, are there to
contribute.

Support La Quadrature du Net!La Quadrature du Net is a team [1] of five
permanent staff members and one intern who labour every day to inform
citizens and to help them to engage in the public debate. More than 50% [2]
of its budget is covered by individuals' donations. Most of the rest is met
by general interest foundations and a small part is covered by social
funds. Your impressive generosity has allowed us to exist for more than
five years and to build up a considerable body of work on a great amount of
topics and issues. The budget [3] of the current year 2013 is however
falling short of €35 000. This is why we are soliciting you again [4].

Supporting La Quadrature du Net financially ensures the independence of the
association and gives it the means to continue its actions on a long-term
basis. The above mentioned crucial questions will not be solved in a couple
of weeks or even in a couple of months, but we are certain that
collectively and democratically we can find answers to them that are
appropriate to their gravity. For this, your support is needed.

It is more of a symbolic compensation, but your support will be represented
by a "Pi-xel" in the logo on this page [4]. If you have already supported
La Quadrature du Net this year, your previous contributions will be taken
into account when we send you thank you gifts. And you will also be able to
upgrade your “Pi-xel” and make it blink!
<3