[P2P-F] Commodify Us: Our Data Our Terms.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Aug 13 13:48:04 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I think this article may relate to some of the concepts of discussed on
this list,

wishing you well.

marc

Commodify Us: Our Data Our Terms.

Article by Marc Garrett.
Includes interview with Walter Langelaar
http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/commodify-us-our-data-our-terms

Richard Stallman, the outspoken promoter for the Free Software movement
proposes that we should all leave Facebook and either find or build our
own alternatives. Commodify.Us provides a platform for users to regain
control over the commercial exploitation of their personal data. Marc
Garret discusses the importance of such alternative hacktivist
structures for social independence.

Commodify Inc. is an artist-run Internet startup producing projects to
help individuals capitalize on their online monetary potential. Their
intention is to correct the imbalance of power in markets where users
have no control over the transactions made with their personal data.
They have completed various artistic projects and interventions on
social media like, Fame Game, Give Me My Data, and Web 2.0 Suicide
Machine. The co-founders are Birgit Bachler, Walter Langelaar, Owen
Mundy, Tim Schwartz, with additional contributors Joelle Dietrick and
Steven Alvarado.

Their new project Commodify.Us, was initiated when Owen Mundy and Tim
Schwartz were invited by moddr_ to a residency in their lab in the
summer of 2012 - when they were still a part of the WORM collective in
Rotterdam. They worked on an initial idea that would succeed previous
experiences of their already well-known and respected projects.