[P2P-F] Advice re reputation metrics

Pamela McLean pamela.mclean at dadamac.net
Sun Sep 23 19:16:34 CEST 2012

I agree that trust and reputation are important and it would be useful to
have better ways to capture and communicate that kind of information.

ref "the group would allocate a score for individuals over the previous
month based on set criteria" - I don't feel any affinity with any idea
related to grading people.  However I do think we could do with finding out
more quickly "who knows what" and "who else knows how well they know it".

Ref "small groups of 20 to 30 people who would meet once a month" - I agree
the the basis of "reputation and trust" is relationships between people who
have taken time to get to know each other. This can be done online or face
to face. Many people find F2F accelerates relationships. I wouldn't make it
as formal as is suggested. I do think that conversations are the starting
point, and small (low-risk) collaborations are a good practical way to
build trust and reputations. Obviously there are different opportunities in
different fields of work. ( I'm reluctant to speak in generalisation as I
have been doing here as they are so open to misunderstandings.)

I think before we discuss the 'How?" of collecting this kind of information
the important question is "Why do we want to know?" In my own case I want
to know about "someone new" if I need to find someone for something and
there is no-one in my existing network. Then I want to know if anyone else
knows anyone - or can suggest how I can find anyone. Finding out more
effectively who knows possible people and how well could be helpful. It's
been part of "the old boys' network" way of doing things for years, and
maybe we can take the good features of that, and appropriate ICT
approaches, and open things up and be more effective. I think it's more
about network theory than scoring.

Pamela